Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Meal Prep and Stuff I Ate

Hey everyone! Thank you so much for your continued support while I'm working through my mental health stuff. I'm pretty proud of myself that I've been fighting through it rather than withdrawing and retreating which is my typical way to cope. I would probably disappear from here for a while and just let it consume me. I'm not willing to let that happen anymore, at least not without a fight. So here I am with some really yummy (if I do say so myself!) meal prep and some really tasty meals I've been enjoying this week.

I'll start with the meal prep. I've been wanting to make this for a few weeks but didn't have the chance to until this weekend.


Vegan Spinach and Feta Pinwheels!!!!!!!


OMG they are SO FREAKING GOOD.


I decided to veganize this recipe from That Skinny Chick Can Bake. It was super easy. I just got vegan versions of the cheese and Pillsbury Puff Pastry happens to be accidentally vegan. I subbed regular garlic powder for garlic salt (you DO NOT need to add salt to this recipe, even with vegan feta - it's already plenty salty!) and just used a water wash instead of an egg wash on the puff pastry. It came together quickly and they look beautiful and taste great! I used Violife Feta and Daiya Mozzarella for my cheese and increased the mozzarella to a half cup. I think this will be a go to recipe for holiday appetizers in the future! It's so easy and looks so impressive! It would be really good with some chopped broccoli in it too!

So now onto the stuff I've been eating!


I decided to make a Mexican style flatbread pizza. It is an individual sized flatbread with Fat Free Refried Beans, a little bit of vegan mozzarella, some corn, green onion and salsa. It was SO GOOD!


You know I love my bagels so I had a plain one toasted and had half with Earth Balance butter and half with Tofutti cream cheese.


I love chips and salsa and rarely ever eat it so I decided that I needed to get my snack on and enjoy some! It was so good!


Here are the amazing Spinach and Feta Pinwheels in action. I was intending to have a salad with it but I ran out of greens so I decided to have some fruit instead. It was a perfect side, a really great balance to the savory pinwheels!

As I mentioned in my last post it was my intention to go to the movies to see Christopher Robin. I faced my fears and I went and while it was difficult at times I was able to get through it. As far as the movie itself, it was ok. I love all things Winnie the Pooh and I was super excited to see it but it wasn't my favorite story and I wasn't in love with the visual aesthetic they chose for the characters. It also felt like it had a really dark and sad tone throughout almost the entire movie which just felt strange to me. That said, I do love Ewan McGregor so I was happy to see him in it. All in all I'm glad I went out and had the experience and faced my fears but the movie itself was a little bit disappointing.

I hope that you all have a wonderful week and I'll see you on Friday!! <3


11 comments:

Bianca said...

You know I need a bagel now! And those pinwheels sound so good. I need to get my hands on some Violife!

Also sorry you're dealing with mental health stuff! I hope you're feeling better soon. Glad you're not disappearing though. ;-)

Sarah said...

Haha yes, bagels all day!! You need to come to NY and eat all of the bagels! We really do have the best here. The pinwheels are amazing, I hope you can find the Violife. I haven't really tried the other varieties but the feta is really great.

Thank you! <3

Hillary said...

I am so proud of you for fighting it instead of withdrawing. I definitely know how hard that is. And going to the movies!! I hope you gave yourself a pat on the back!!
Those pinwheels!!!!!

Anonymous said...

hi there. looks like a perfect mix of scrumptious meals & snacks! yum+++!

the pinwheels are stunning on that vegan-heart plate. i would love to add it to my dinnerware. any idea where to get one? thanks.

Sarah said...

Thanks, I'm pretty proud too. It's really hard but I can't let it win anymore.

Sarah said...

Hi! Thank you so much, everything was definitely delicious!

Thank you! I love this plate, I got it as a gift! The plate comes from Jeanette Zeis' Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/JeanetteZeis I don't know if she still sells this exact one (it is also a small salad plate, not a full sized dinner plate if that helps get an idea of size) but she has super cute bowls, mugs, etc.

Anonymous said...

thank you!

J said...

The pinwheels look amazingly delicious; I will definitely have to try those! The pizza is so colorful, too! Glad you made it out to the movie, even if it wasn't as good as you'd hoped!

Sarah said...

No problem!

Sarah said...

Thank you! They are so good and there are so many different flavor combinations you can try! The pizza was really yummy, I'm glad I made it!

Thanks! I was really proud of myself :)

J said...

Finally made the pinwheels; they were so good!