Saturday, April 8, 2017

This & That

Hey everyone! I hope that you are all doing well and that you are enjoying the start to your weekend. Mine can't come fast enough. If I'm going to be completely candid with you, I've had a pretty shitty last few weeks. My depression has kind of come back in full force and I've barely been able to hold it together at work the last few days. I'm just pretty miserable right now… my mind is racing and I'm just not in a great place. I cry a lot. I haven't been eating a ton and I wasn't going to do a post today but I didn't want to let myself fall into that hole where I disappear for a while. I guess I'm hoping that sticking to the routine will help me pull myself out of it.

Anyway, the food is completely uninspired this week. I took a few photos to show you but don't expect to be dazzled in any way. I guess some pics are better than no pics though.


Toasted plain bagel - one half with Tofutti cream cheese and the other half with crunchy peanut butter.


This was one of the better meals of the week… yummy salad I got on the way to work with lettuce tomato, cucumber, craisins and almonds with a balsamic dressing. Really good.


Lots of clementines.


I felt like having chocolate and this was on sale so I grabbed one.

So this was posted on Chloe Coscarelli's Instagram the other day:


"Thank you to everyone who has reached out regarding the recent news, which revealed that I have been pushed out of by CHLOE.—the restaurant I founded in 2015. I imagine this news has come as a surprise to many of you. Honestly, it’s quite surreal for me too.

I developed every single recipe for the restaurant over the course of several years in my tiny apartment kitchen. I slept on a couch in the living room with no bedroom of my own so that I could be close to my work in the kitchen and develop recipes 24/7, sleeping only 3 or 4 hours most nights, for years. I set my alarm to wake me up every half hour through the night to measure the progression of ice crystals in my ice cream recipes. I made 30 variations of beet ketchup and lined them up on my window sill to compare the difference in pink pigmentation. I turned my home into a vegan test kitchen and worked with my amazing vegan team from Natural Gourmet Institute to perfect every last detail. We tested every recipe literally hundreds of times. But it was a labor of love. 
From the day I began this journey, my goal was to create a fun, friendly restaurant that showcased how delicious vegan food can make a powerful and positive impact in the world —a belief that has never for a moment wavered. To me, veganism is so much more than a vehicle for business; it’s a vote for kindness, a dedication to sustainability, and a commitment to compassion. It’s a lifestyle I adopted more than a decade ago, and will forever be proud of, champion, and defend.

This year has been extremely painful—one that has challenged me to the core. But I will not let anyone deter my goals. I am committed to being strong and positive, and will continue to champion vegan cuisine and what it stands for. To budding entrepreneurs, I hope my journey inspires you to stand up for what’s right, even if it feels scary, and hope you never lose sight of your core mission. I haven’t. I won’t. I have some exciting new projects in the works and can’t wait to fill you in soon. Until then, I want to thank each and every one of you for your love and support. Community is everything, and I am eternally grateful to be a part of yours. Onward and upward! #vegan"
- Chloe Coscarelli (@chefchloe)

Have you guys heard about the Chloe Coscarelli drama?! If you haven't you can read a little bit about it here. Basically she was forced out of her own restaurant chain. I'm so disgusted by this I can't even begin to explain. I can't imagine working so hard to achieve something so great for a movement I believe so much in just to have it ripped away seemingly for reasons based on greed. I am so sad for her and I'm sad I never visited by CHLOE before this because I'm certainly not going to give them a penny of my money now. It sounds like she has a few projects that she is working on now and I can't wait to be able to support those ventures, whatever they may be.

So that's all I have for you today. Sorry to be a downer. I hope that my next post will find me in better spirits. I do have a therapy appointment between now and then and I usually leave them feeling better so hopefully this week will be the same.

I hope that you all have a great weekend and I'll see you next week.

8 comments:

Beverlee said...

I'm sorry life does not seem so great right now. I'm sure it would help if you got some sunshine, I know you've had such a gray, cold winter. Seeing a therapist is definitely a smart idea so you're doing what you need to do to feel better. That sucks about Chloe - we have someone who's trying to make veganism mainstream and not just the buzz word of the moment and this is how she gets treated. Honestly, in this age of "enlightenment", why do people still look at you like you're on some new weird diet when you say you're a vegan? I have high hopes for bright, talented Chloe. I've no doubt that just like in that movie "Shawshank Redemption", she will "come out clean on the other side". :)

Hillary said...

I'm sorry you're struggling. I so understand that deep, out of control sadness. I have lost track of how many times I've cried on the bus, or anywhere in public. I hope your therapy session helps a little. Sending big virtual hugs.
I am so sad for Chloe. I can't imagine putting that much passion and work into something, having it succeed and then having it ripped away from you. I love her even more for sticking to her ethics, even if it's causing her pain. I don't know why they would want to mess with the formula, from everything I've read her restaurants were a huge success.

Vegan In The VI said...

I am just sorry you cant go on medication. Cant you just try again a teeny tiny small dosage? Life is too short and you are in the prime of it. It would at least make for interesting reading on your other blog.

Ingrid said...

I love you. You are wonderful and strong. Keep taking care of yourself, and you will make it to the other side soon! xoxo

Sarah said...

Thank you so much for your kind words always. My therapist always helps me climb out of this and this time was no exception. I definitely walked out feeling better about things.

I'm so incredibly sad for Chloe. I have zero dots that she will move on to do many more great things, but I can't imagine the disappointment and heartbreak that she must be feeling.

Sarah said...

Thank you and I'm so sorry that you have to deal with the same issues. It's so hard but it definitely always helps knowing that you aren't alone.

I'm so sad for her too. She is an amazing human being and a really great representative for the vegan community. I know she'll move on to bigger and better.

Sarah said...

It's such a delicate balance I think and it's so hard to find that balance. I have tried so many medications including anti-depressants, anti-anxiety and mood stabilizers and they were all awful. It's definitely really frustrating but I'm not really interested in playing around with it right now.

Sarah said...

Thank you so much <3 Your kindness and support mean the world to me.