Anyway, update out of the way! Now we get to the point of today's post :) On my last post a lovely commenter (and fellow Long Islander!!) named Trixie asked for my Stir Fry recipe. I'm going to do the best I can for you Trixie! I never measure when I stir fry but I can at least give you a jump off point and you can tweak to suit your tastes! In addition, I'll be posting a roundup of stir fries I have made so you can see the veggies I like to use.
This was a great one! It has tofu, asparagus, and mushrooms with some Jasmine Rice.
Also delicious! Chinese Eggplant, asparagus, tofu and broccoli.
Chinese Eggplant, tofu, asparagus and mushrooms again.
This one is an Udon Noodle stir fry. Tofu, broccoli and Chinese eggplant.
This one was snow peas, cabbage, mushrooms and tofu.
Simple Stir Fry!
Veggies of Choice (see below for suggestions)
Tofu, tempeh or seitan
Soy sauce, tamari or coconut aminos
Garlic (fresh or powder)
1. Using a little cooking spray, brown your protein of choice over medium heat. This is the only oil I use and it is minimal, just to help the protein get nice and crispy.
2. Add veggies to pan and stir fry using a little water. I like to cover my pan for a few minutes to help the veggies steam and cook through a little quicker. Stir every couple of minutes. Add water when needed.
3. While your veggies are cooking, stir together sauce ingredients. Start with 1 tbsp hoisin, 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari or aminos and some garlic to taste. If you like heat, add some sriracha. Taste the sauce and adjust as needed. If it is too sweet for you, add a little of your soy sauce option. If you want it sweeter add a bit more hoisin. You can also add ginger if you like ginger.
4. Add sauce to veggies. Stir everything together. Let it cook for another few minutes to heat it all through and let everything meld together.
5. Serve with rice or noodles or on its own.
Stir Fry Veggie Suggestions:
Asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, snow peas, carrots, peas, onions, green onions, peppers, edamame, Chinese eggplant, bok choy (!!), mushrooms of all varieties, zucchini, celery and baby corn.
I know this is a very loose recipe but it's the best I could do to put it all together. Stir fry is based on personal preference I think but hopefully this provides a good starting point for you!
That's all I have for you today. I'll be back Tuesday hopefully in a better mood. I should be since I'm excited about this weekend :) Do you have any plans for the weekend? Are you guys Disney fans? Which character would you get on your first mug if you were going to build a collection?