Saturday, May 20, 2017

Stir Fry Roundup and Recipe!

Hey everyone! Happy Saturday. Well not as happy of a Saturday for me. Have you ever had one of those days where everything is going wrong and you just get more and more angry as the minutes pass? Today is that day for me. It started late last night and this morning has been a disaster from a blown fuse to some idiot almost plowing into me as I was driving to work because he wasn't paying attention. At that point I was so frustrated I just screamed as loud as I could in my car and let me tell you… it actually helped. I'm still not exactly thrilled but I feel better than I did an hour ago. I just have to get through one more day of work and then it is my weekend. I actually have exciting plans and I'm going to be catching up with two of my friends and I can't wait! I'm also going to head over to the mall on a mission. I really want to start a Disney mug collection and I want to collect as many characters as I can. It'll be a slow accumulation but I'm excited to see what the Disney Store has! Of course it means a trip to the mall but it's a trade off I'm willing to make :)

Anyway, update out of the way! Now we get to the point of today's post :) On my last post a lovely commenter (and fellow Long Islander!!) named Trixie asked for my Stir Fry recipe. I'm going to do the best I can for you Trixie! I never measure when I stir fry but I can at least give you a jump off point and you can tweak to suit your tastes! In addition, I'll be posting a roundup of stir fries I have made so you can see the veggies I like to use.


This was a great one! It has tofu, asparagus, and mushrooms with some Jasmine Rice.


Also delicious! Chinese Eggplant, asparagus, tofu and broccoli.


Chinese Eggplant, tofu, asparagus and mushrooms again.


This one is an Udon Noodle stir fry. Tofu, broccoli and Chinese eggplant.


This one was snow peas, cabbage, mushrooms and tofu.

Simple Stir Fry!

Ingredients:

Veggies of Choice (see below for suggestions)
Tofu, tempeh or seitan
Hoisin sauce
Soy sauce, tamari or coconut aminos
Garlic (fresh or powder)
Sriracha (optional)

Directions:

1. Using a little cooking spray, brown your protein of choice over medium heat. This is the only oil I use and it is minimal, just to help the protein get nice and crispy.
2. Add veggies to pan and stir fry using a little water. I like to cover my pan for a few minutes to help the veggies steam and cook through a little quicker. Stir every couple of minutes. Add water when needed. 
3. While your veggies are cooking, stir together sauce ingredients. Start with 1 tbsp hoisin, 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari or aminos and some garlic to taste. If you like heat, add some sriracha. Taste the sauce and adjust as needed. If it is too sweet for you, add a little of your soy sauce option. If you want it sweeter add a bit more hoisin. You can also add ginger if you like ginger. 
4. Add sauce to veggies. Stir everything together. Let it cook for another few minutes to heat it all through and let everything meld together.
5. Serve with rice or noodles or on its own.

Stir Fry Veggie Suggestions:

Asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, snow peas, carrots, peas, onions, green onions, peppers, edamame, Chinese eggplant, bok choy (!!), mushrooms of all varieties, zucchini, celery and baby corn.

I know this is a very loose recipe but it's the best I could do to put it all together. Stir fry is based on personal preference I think but hopefully this provides a good starting point for you! 

That's all I have for you today. I'll be back Tuesday hopefully in a better mood. I should be since I'm excited about this weekend :) Do you have any plans for the weekend? Are you guys Disney fans? Which character would you get on your first mug if you were going to build a collection?

11 comments:

Hillary said...

Your stir fries seriously always look so perfect and delicious! Like right out of a restaurant! Hoisin is one of my favorite sauces ever!
I'm not a HUGE Disney fan, but I would probably get 101 Dalmations, or something else animal related. 101 Dalmations is probably my favorite Disney movie!
Good luck at the mall, and have fun catching up with your friends!

Beverlee said...

Beauty and the Beast all the way! I'm glad scream therapy helped you; I recommend it - I hate jerks that drive like that. That crap rattles your nerves for the rest of your day. Ooh, I'd like some of that delicious-looking tofu and asparagus and that udon? Come to momma! I had the best weekend - yesterday some friends got together to celebrate a birthday and we went on a pontoon boat ride around a huge beautiful lake, then we went go-karting then we went to see a roller derby. I felt like I was 16 again (without all the drama). So nice to have fun once in a while, right? Hope you have a great time with your friends!

Ingrid said...

Oh no! Are you and the car ok? Yelling/shouting/screaming can be very cathartic, and I'm glad it helped!

Your stir-fries are always yummy, and these are no exception.

I hope you have a wonderful time with friends, and happy shopping! Yay, mugs!

Trixie said...

Thank you my friend!!

Sarah said...

Aww thank you! Hoisin is amazing!

How would I have guessed that 101 Dalmations would be your favorite ;)

Thanks!

Sarah said...

Yes! Beauty and the Beast is definitely top 3 for me :) The scream therapy helped momentarily but it all came back soon enough. It was just a bad day and a bad week.

I'm so glad that you had a great weekend! I've always wanted to check out roller derby, how cool that you went! The boat ride sounds amazing!

Thanks!

Sarah said...

Yes, everything is fine they didn't hit me thankfully. It was just stupid carelessness. And thanks! It was cathartic for a bit, sadly the rest of the day was very stressful though.

Thank you! I had a great time :)

Sarah said...

You're welcome! Let me know how you like it if you try it!

Trixie said...

Ok!

Vegan In The VI said...

Those are pretty stir-fries. Thought one might actually be from PF Changs, but I guess you still havent gone there.

Sarah said...

Thank you! Haha I still have never been there!