Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Some Stuff I Ate

Hey everyone, I hope you are all doing well! Thank you so much for your sweet, supportive comments on my last post. It was a pretty horrible week and made me realize that some pretty big changes need to happen for the sake of my sanity and I'm working on making those changes a reality. Other than that my appetite is returning so I've been able to eat a few more meals and they have been more substantial. I don't have a ton to share and what I've been eating has been pretty much the same but I figured I'd still share with you.


Up first was a little prey that I did. I really didn't want to sit and peel and cut a million potatoes but I did it and I'm glad I did. I have a ton of roasted potatoes for the week and there is nothing wrong with a ton of roasted potatoes 😂


I had some whole grain toast with peanut butter and banana for breakfast one day.


I tried the mushroom risotto burgers from Aldi's finally! The first time I had it I put it on a bun and added avocado because I figured that would be delicious. I really liked the burger but I think the bun and avocado totally hid the flavor. I served that up with some of my potatoes, of course.


Last night I had another one of the burgers. I really liked the flavor of it and I am glad that I got the two boxes. However, I found that they added a lot of unnecessary veggies. I really wanted to taste the mushroom flavor but there were things like peas and other veggies that didn't really belong. There was kale and that was fine but I really wanted a more robust mushroom flavor. That said, the burger is still delicious and for this meal I had it on its own with no bun, some potatoes and some carrots. It was absolutely delicious!

Sorry I haven't had more variety lately but as I am feeling better I am sure that things will get back to normal. Although I decided not to go grocery shopping this week because I am going to Florida on the 30th and decided to try and worth through some stuff in my pantry before I head out. I am so excited to go because omg you guys, IT'S FUCKING COLD. With wind chill it was like -15 degrees yesterday. It's so brutal so I'm excited for some warmer temperatures in my near future.

I hope that you all have a great week and I'll see you here on Friday!

16 comments:

Panty Buns said...

All of these plates of vegan food look delicious!!! I love potatoes, avocados, peanut butter and bananas. I should eat more carrots too.
I'm glad to read that you're starting to feel better.
The cold weather has been super-scary. I live East of you on Long Island. Last night I wore four layers and a hat to bed and even with a supplemental heater going and the bedroom door closed it was still cold. This morning the thermometer read 7 degrees and the wind was still howling. Brrrrrrrr. Keep warm+be well!

https://full-brief-panties.blogspot.com/

Bianca said...

I tried one of the ALDI burgers (can't remember which) and thought it was alright. Not my fave but not bad! :-) Hope you're feeling better. Just catching up on your last post. Sorry you were struggling, and I hope things get better very soon.

Also, I admire your patience with those taters! Ha! I am such a lazy ass and typically don't peel my potatoes.

Hillary said...

I want to try all the Aldi things!! Those potatoes look incredible, and there can never be too many roasted potatoes!!
Yay you get to go to Florida!
I'm glad you're feeling better!

Sarah said...

Thank you! Carrots are so good, I don't know why I don't eat them more often. It has been so freaking cold! Thankfully it is warming up a bit so I hope that you are able to thaw out and stay warm!

Sarah said...

The Aldi burger definitely wasn't bad but I definitely wish they focused more on the mushroom flavor. Thank you so much, it was an incredibly rough week but I definitely am on the other side of it.

I contemplated not peeling them but I am glad I did because there were some spots that definitely needed to be avoided!

Sarah said...

The potatoes are so good and I'm glad I made the effort to make them because it has been so easy to throw dinner together after work.

I can't wait to get out, get warm and see my friend. I really need a change of scenery and to just get away for a bit.

Thank you! <3

Jennifer said...

Have fun in Florida! What part are you going to? Orlando? Beach-y southern parts? Middle of nowhere visiting family (lol that's always me)?

I hate when people just add veggies all willy nilly to burgers. I don't mind veggies but sometimes they take away from the flavor!

Jennifer said...

I've had a bunch of Aldi's burgers, they are cheap and great for quick WTF! I NEED SOMETHING kind of nights. But their standards that they have all year are so-so. There are a bunch of special flavors for the New Year. I can't imagine these mushroom risottos will last long.

Unknown said...

Thank goodness that bizarre freak arctic cold has passed!!
Glad your appetite has returned a bit, i know for myself a low appetite and not enough calories can perpetuate low energy and mood. Roasted potatoes are awesome! The peeling and chopping can be tedius but pays off for easy future meals.

I seem to prefer most veg burger patties (that are veggie based as opposed to the faux meat style ones) either ontop of a salad or like you had it on a plate with various sides.
The moosewood lentil walnut mushroom burgers are a favorite which i’ve made many times over the years- it’s a good one to make a double batch and shape some into meatless balls and freeze the extras. Bonus is it’s even better with canned lentils!
http://www.molliekatzen.com/recipes/recipe.php?recipe=lentil_walnut_burgers

Florida sounds amazing to me right now... ! Bring some sunshine back to nyc for me please ;)
Ttrockwood

Sarah said...

Thank you! I'm going to visit my best friend in Orlando. We aren't going to Disney but Orlando is a great city. I am just excited to see him, it's been over a year!

I know, I get that I'm vegan and veggies are a thing but sometimes adding them for the sake of adding them aren't necessary! It also drives me nuts that they add bell peppers to everything because I hate bell peppers and have to pass on veggie burgers most of the time.

Sarah said...

OMG right?! It was so brutally cold but it was the wind that really made it awful. I can't imagine how bad it was in the city, it's just wind tunnels all over!

I was definitely drained emotionally and physically. I was still working out and not eating so I just turned into a zombie. I am glad that I made the effort of making the potatoes, it has been so helpful this week!

I definitely will be eating the rest of these plain with sides or in a bowl of some sort. Thank you so much for the recipe link, I'm definitely going to try those! They sound delicious!

I can't wait to get away. I need some sunshine, warmth and just a break and change of scenery. I'll do my best to bottle it up and bring it home!

Jennifer said...

Pick out those bell peppers and hand them to me lol I feel like vegans hate the extra veggies, but if you ask an omni eater, they get mad if there aren't. I hear lots of people say "I'm eating a VEGGIE burger, so give me veggies." I think it is because of the whole fake meat denial thing. *rolls eyes*

The Student-turned-Doctor said...

Roasted potatoes are great comfort food! I know what you mean about finding rogue veggies in your burgers. Good-but-not-what-you-said is a face I've made many times. Your latest post says you're doing better and I'm glad! I really hope your vacation soothes you. I'm not going anywhere but I'm taking some vacation days very soon myself. Depending on the weather and how I feel I might actually get around to doing some of the sightseeing around here I always want to do and don't.

Sarah said...

Roasted potatoes are DELICIOUS!! And yeah, I eat a lot of veggies, if my burger is just supposed to be rice and mushrooms let's just keep it at that, ha! I've made that face quite a bit myself ;) Especially when cilantro appears.

Thank you so much, I'm really looking forward to it. I hope that you are able to rest and feel better during your vacation time and sightseeing would be fun as well! I'm sure you'll find a good balance :)

J said...

Your meals look great, especially with those roasted potatoes, yum! That's too bad about the mushroom burgers not being as mushroom-y as you'd hoped, though! Enjoy your trip to Florida!

Sarah said...

Thank you so much! I'm so excited to go!