Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Zen Garden Restaurant Great Neck, NY

Hey you guys! I hope you are all doing well and had an amazing weekend! I had a really nice weekend that was fun and social! I went out both Saturday and Sunday night which is kind of a big thing for me. On Saturday I went to a really amazing all vegetarian/mostly vegan restaurant called Zen Garden in Great Neck, NY. On Sunday I met up with friends that were in town for Book Con in the city. It was really really nice to see everyone and I'm really glad that I was able to deal with my anxiety and go out and enjoy a really fun weekend.

Of course I have some food to share! I forgot to take a pic from Sunday but I had a vegan stuffed mushroom (it was stuffed with spinach and asparagus) that came with a little side salad. It was delicious and it was nice to have a vegan option on the menu. I do have photos to share from Zen Garden though!


It was my second time going to Zen Garden (the first time was for lunch thought) and my dining companion's first. I ended up getting one of the specials which was the General Tso's Tofu and Eggplant. It was AMAZING you guys. It had a really nice crunch and a super flavorful sauce. The fresh broccoli was perfect with it. I really enjoyed this dish and would absolutely get it again.


We decided to split a dessert and got a piece of red velvet cake. You guys. YOU GUYS. IT WAS SO. FUCKING. GOOD. The flavor was amazing, the texture was amazing, you'd NEVER know it was vegan. I rarely ever get dessert at a restaurant but I'm glad we decided to go for it. A really cool detail is that it is colored with beet juice and beet powder rather than dye and I love that. Seriously a perfect piece of cake.


The portion for dinner was HUGE you guys. I brought home the leftovers and had dinner Monday night...


…and I have lunch for today! I added some jasmine rice to fill it out and it's perfect. It's obviously not as good as when it was fresh in the restaurant but still really delicious.

I really like this restaurant. The decor is beautiful, the ambiance is nice, the servers are personable and knowledgable and the owners are so sweet. The food has been delicious both times I've gone. The only thing I'll say is that the pace of your meal is definitely very leisurely. The service is on the slower side but I feel like it is on purpose. I really enjoy it there and don't mind a longer dinner there. We spent a while talking to the owner and she was wonderful and we learned that they just started weekend brunch which is really exciting! Hopefully I'll be able to get back there soon! For anyone in the area, I highly recommend Zen Garden.

I figured since I was here and had this stuff to share I'd add it to this post!


I was at my brother's house on Memorial Day and they had this Taco Inspired Hummus by Sabra. Of course I was intrigued so I had to try it and OMG you guys. It's really good! They found it at Target so I popped over to Target yesterday to see if they still had any. They had 2 containers left so I snagged them both! I am set for hummus for a bit 😃


Finally, what kind of Tuesday post would this be without my obligatory weekly pumpernickel bagel with (way too much) Tofu spread. So good, as always.

So that's it for today! I hope that you are all well and having a great week! I'll check back in with you on Friday with some more yummy eats! 

5 comments:

Hillary said...

Good for you working through your anxiety!! Your dinner looks amazing, I love the addition of eggplant!!! And that cake!!! I love that they don't use red dye too!!

Bianca said...

Oooh, that tofu & eggplant dish looks amazing! And good on you for making it last for 3 meals!! And THAT CAKE. Want! Also want that bagel. I always want the bagel.

The Student-turned-Doctor said...

You had a great meal out! I have a serious weakness for cake. And leftovers, even if lesser quality, are always welcome in my opinion.

Susan said...

Tofu and Eggplant? Sign me up! The food looks amazing. I love when portions are generous, because I also love leftovers.
That cake looks amazing as well! Red Velvet isn't really a common thing here in Australia. And to be honest, I am not entirely sure what it is meant to be... I made some cupcakes once but it just seemed to be a chocolate cake with red food colouring? Is it just a visual or is there meant to be some sort of specific flavour? Who can tell!

J said...

The General Tso's tofu and eggplant looks absolutely perfect, especially with all that broccoli, and that's great that you were able to get so many meals out of it! The cake looks great, too!