Friday, October 27, 2017

Fun Friday: Exploring the Welwyn Preserve

I've mentioned that one of my favorite things about living on Long Island is having access to a bunch of amazing Gold Coast Estates that are still around from the 20's/Great Gastby Era. It's so cool to be able to take a short drive and end up in a location that brings you back to another time. I've shared my trip to the Sands Point Preserve in the past and another location on my list of places to go was the Welwyn Preserve. The Estate was turned into a Holocaust Museum and guests are free to explore the land to discover some pretty awesome abandoned structures and to check out the beautiful waterfront area. I decided to head over there last Sunday with the goal of finding the abandoned Greenhouse.

Truth be told, I got really creeped out when I was there. I was alone and it was 8:00 in the morning and I was heading into the woods by myself. My intrusive thoughts got the best of me and I did not find the greenhouse or the other buildings I wanted to see. I did see a few structures plus I saw the beautiful courtyard of the estate and I did head down to the waterfront. My therapist told me I should go back and find the greenhouse and finish what I started so I'll get there at some point. I just got really creeped out.

I took a few pictures and did want to share them with you. Check them out!







The courtyard was so pretty! Such a contrast to the side of the Estate that I had previously explored.


I am a sucker for lens flare.


This is the road heading down to the waterfront.




As you can see it was a beautiful, clear morning. A little cold but nothing I couldn't handle. I met a few new puppy friends which is always a fun thing. I have been assigned the task of heading back and finding the greenhouse. I figured I'd share some pics of what I was looking for as well so you can get an idea.




So there you have it. I don't know when I'll get back but I will. I hope you liked seeing some of what I found in the areas I was brave enough to explore. Do you like these kinds of posts. I think it's pretty fun to check out these Estates and I enjoy sharing them with you! I have a list of other places I'd like to visit.

I hope you all have a great weekend <3




11 comments:

Jennifer said...

AWESOME photos! Sounds like FUN times, too!

Hillary said...

Wow, the picture of the trail leading to the waterfront is soooo beautiful. It looks like it should be in a movie! And the beach looks so beautiful too.
I'm sorry your thoughts got to you. It's understandable though. I'd love to see pictures when you make it back!!

J said...

This is such a fun post; your photos are awesome! :D I love exploring abandoned places, but I totally empathize with your "creeped out" feelings; I've gotten them, too. Best of luck when you return to find the greenhouse; I'll look forward to seeing your pics!

Beverlee said...

I'm so proud of you for "feeling the fear but doing it anyway". That's big and I have such respect for that. These photos are so tranquil and I definitely appreciate you sharing them. Please do more! :)

Ingrid said...

I've totally been there, feeling the spooks, and you have demonstrated your bravery! You are amazing! These photos are spectacular, and I know you will fulfill your follow up assignment (but perhaps with a friend?!). The courtyard and waterfront are just gorgeous. I'd love to have seen it when it was in its original state...time to ask Google! :)

Sarah said...

Thank you!

Sarah said...

The location is stunning. These mansions are often in movies, especially Old Westbury Gardens where the pumpkin event was held!

Sarah said...

Abandoned places are so cool and definitely places I'd love to explore once I find my courage :) Thank you!

Sarah said...

Thank you so much! It was so beautiful there.

Sarah said...

Thank you! I'm supposed to go alone so we'll see when that happens. It's been so rainy and cold. Haha these mansions are all amazing!

Jennifer said...

I love this sort of stuff. Have you ever read The Dainty Squid? She has lots of cool places like this on her blog, though I don't think any on Long Island.

It is so pretty there. Funny how elegant it still looks even with the overgrown plants.