Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Food and Art

Hey everyone! I hope that all is well! I hope you all had a great weekend. Mine went well but was too quick, as usual. I really dove into creating some art and was quite productive with that. It was relaxing and therapeutic and exactly what I needed for the weekend. I've been pretty drained physically so it was exactly what I needed. I had my follow up with my neurologist yesterday and I do have 3 herniated discs in my neck as well as some straightening of the curve in my neck. So that's fun, ha! Like I said last week, the plus side is I have no nerve damage and no vascular issues so that is all good news.

I don't have a ton of meals to share because I just haven't taken a lot of pictures. My food is boring pantry/freezer food and I just haven't felt particularly motivated but I'm trying hard to fix it. I do have some pictures of what I accomplished over the weekend so I'll share those as well. If you don't care to see any more in the future just let me know in the comments!


This was a totally random soup that ended up being really good! I didn't have anything I would normally add in the house (tofu, green onions, etc.) so I just used the better than bouillon chick'n base and added some rice cakes and a few gyoza. TI really just wanted that filling from the gyoza to add some veggies to the soup and it actually worked pretty well. It isn't pretty but it was very tasty.


Those of you that have been reading here for a while you'll know I'm not a big pasta person. I didn't know what to have for dinner the other night and had some pasta so I decided to make some. I know this may seem weird but if you haven't added corn to your pasta, DO IT! It's so good, it added a nice sweetness to it. It's so delicious. I just had it with a little Earth Balance and it was delicious.


I made this piece with some leftover jewelry making supplies I had purchased a while ago. The jewelry making didn't work out but I am so happy with how this piece came out! It is unique and the colors are gorgeous. And you can't beat glass glitter.


I had run out of mini canvases by the time I got to this piece so I used an old CD and I really love how it came out! By this point I had kind of let go of trying to fit into the mixed media style that I had seen before and just allowed myself to create and wouldn't you know it, I'm so much happier with the result.


This is a close up of the texture that was created. I'm definitely really proud of this one.


This is the last piece that I finished. I had started it before the cd but held off on finishing it until I had a better idea of what I wanted the finished product to be. I also really love this one. You may know how much I love all things celestial and galaxy so this one is close to my heart.

So that's all I have for you today! I hope that you all have a great week and I'll see you back here on Friday! 💜

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

When I am in a rut I usually like to do two things: 1) force myself to use produce from a CSA or something like a produce box. Force myself to play around with veggies. or 2) pick up a cookbook from the library, even if I only make one thing from the book I might find some inspiration or something of that nature.

Hillary said...

UUGGHH I've been in a rut too. I've been eating tasty food, just boring! Your soup looks AMAZING in my opinion! And I've had pasta and corn and I agree, it's so good! I also had corn on a pizza one time, and it was really tasty!
I really love your art. I love the CD's especially!!
How will you treat your neck? Will you have to do physical therapy?

Anonymous said...

Your artwork is beautiful! What do you do with it once it's finished? Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Your artwork is awesome and inspiring!!!! Please continue to share.

The Student-turned-Doctor said...

There is a pasta salad I used to make (pre vegan) that was mostly corn and pasta and a dressing. I have been craving that lately and your pasta has me craving it even more! I may make that soon.

Once you have the basic concept down, you can make soup out of anything. Your soup sounds delightful.

Sarah said...

Jennifer: Oooh yes I should go through all of my old cookbooks and see if that inspires me!

Hillary: It sucks to be in a rut but it seems like you are breaking out of it! Corn on pizza sounds good, I'll have to try it! Thank you so much, I've been really having fun creating the pieces. Right now there isn't much of an option, I can do physical therapy but I can afford the expense now. I'll treat it with medication when it gets bad enough but otherwise there isn't much I can do except maybe some stretching.

Anonymous: Thank you so much! I didn't really have plans for the pieces but people have been inquiring about purchasing them so that may end up being an option.

Anonymous: Thank you so much, that means a lot!

The Student-turned-Doctor: Oooh yum, that pasta salad sounds good, I can't wait to see it! The soup was very good, soup is such a great staple, go to meal.

Susan said...

Your art is so beautiful, I love seeing it. You are so clever. I love the one on the CD, I never would have thought of that!

I found out from some radiographs recently that I have lost most of the curve in my neck, which contributes to why I get so much neck and shoulder pain. It sucks. Thankfully no herniated discs (in my neck anyway, there's a question mark over one in my lumbar spine), but I do have early arthritic changes. I hope they can find something to give you some relief. <3

Sarah said...

Susan: Thank you so much, that means a lot! I'm going to be making more CD art this weekend, I can't wait to see how it comes out! Oh no! I'm sorry that you have to deal with the neck and shoulder pain, it really does make things difficult. I hope you can find some relief as well!

J said...

Your soups always look so good, and yes, corn is great with pasta! Your art is all so beautiful; I love the inventiveness of using the CD for a canvas!