Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Grocery Haul and Stuff I Ate

Hey everyone! I hope that all is well and that you had a good weekend! Mine was pretty good, I actually decided to work on some art that I have been wanting to get to for a long time. It was really cathartic and felt really good to just devote some time to doing something that I love. I am always hyper critical of myself and my art but I learned this weekend that it is more about the process of creating and not the final outcome. It was pretty awesome.

In addition to that, I did end up heading over to Trader Joe's to grab some groceries. I braced myself for a nightmare and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't that crowded at all. I got there when they opened and it was an ugly, rainy day so I'm wondering if that deterred people from getting out of bed and heading over early.

Anyway, I have the haul to share as well as a few meals I enjoyed over the weekend.


For produce I got some zucchini, granny smith apples, cauliflower, butter lettuce, potatoes and carrots.


For grocery stuff I got some tots, inner peas, flax, raisins, dolma, corn and a dark chocolate bar.


I didn't have the time to make lunch one day so I ran next door to the deli and got some rice and beans and broccoli. She makes the best beans and she told me how she makes it so I definitely plan on making some at home!


For dinner one night I made a salad with the butter lettuce, a granny smith apple, slivered almonds and some Asian Vinaigrette from Panera. That is the best dressing to have with this salad!


I finally decided that this weekend I needed to try that Aldi chocolate cake.


So the cake is small (comparable to a Daiya cheesecake) but you don't need a lot to be satisfied. This cake is RICH and seriously delicious! I am really enjoying it, it's a great indulgence to have when you are having a chocolate craving.


I had to take my aunt to physical therapy this morning which means I got myself a pumpernickel bagel with tofu cream cheese from the bagel store on the way to work. Delicious as always.

So that's it for today! I hope you have a great week and I'll see you on Friday! 💜

8 comments:

Hillary said...

That cake from Aldi looks so good.They weren't nearly as vegan friendly back in the day when I lived near one. Is it like a cheesecake or a cake cake? Either way it looks incredible!!
I'm glad you got to do some art. It always feels good to get creative!!
I just got some bulk dried red beans to make beans and rice myself!!

Jennifer said...

I was wondering the same about the cake. The box just says cake but it totally looks like a cheese cake!

Susan said...

That cake does look pretty amazing! Like a pudding cake cheese cake kind of thing?
That's awesome that TJs wasn't overly crowded when you got there. I bet it was the weather, people don't like going out to thing, especially in the mornings! Looks like you bought some lovely stuff.

Sarah said...

Hillary: It was delicious!! It's a regular chocolate cake with a thick layer of frosting. Super delicious. Thanks, I'm really glad too! Yaaaasssss beans and rice!

Jennifer: It's definitely cake with a fudgey frosting. I really want some cheesecake now though, ha!

Susan: The cake was sooooo good and definitely a regular cake. I was so relieved to see it wasn't that bad and I definitely agree, the weather probably kept people in bed on a Sunday morning. Bonus for me!

Unknown said...

Yay for the manageable trip to trader joe’s! There’s a dominican place not that far from me, a subway stop away plus a few blocks and they make the most amazing rice and beans maybe EVER. I’ve asked so many times (in spanish) to make sure they’re vegan and somehow they are. It’s like $5 for an enormous container! I love the cuban black beans from Trader Joe’s when I’m uninspired. That cake looks awesome!! Wow. And always yes yes yes to that bagel :))
Ttrockwood

J said...

Yay for doing art! Looks like a great haul, and the Aldi cake sounds perfect, too!

Sarah said...

Ttrockwood: I was so happy that it wasn't that bad. The beans that the deli makes is literally red beans boiled in water with tons of cloves of garlic that have been crushed (to release the flavor) then toward the end they add salt. That's it and it is DELICIOUS! I'll have to try the beans from Trader Joe's, I bet they would be delicious over a baked potato.

Julie: It has been so helpful for me to get back into creating. The cake is AMAZING.

Ceiling Contractors Waco said...

Great reading your posst