Sunday, April 19, 2020

Partial Aldi Haul and Stuff I Ate

Hey everyone! I hope that you are all doing well! I'm doing the best I can and I'm trying to remain as positive and optimistic as possible given the circumstances. This week I got to the point where I just really needed to go to the store and get some groceries. I chose to go to Aldi because I knew that they have a lot of vegan options and I knew that they were limiting the amount of people that go into the store at one time (which did NOT happen the last time I went to my local grocery store and it sent me into a massive panic attack). It takes me about 35 minutes to get there and it was worth it. While I still had anxiety about it I felt a lot better there than I did in the local store. I tried to get in and out as quickly as possible and I really tried to load up while I could.

What I'm sharing below is just a small part of my haul. I was really freaked out about contamination and putting things away so I just didn't photograph everything but I'll fill you in as best as I can.


This is clearly the most important part of the haul 😂 If there was ever a time for a rich chocolate cake now would be the time! I'm so excited to get into this!


Last time I went to Aldi I got the chocolate coconut cashew chips and I LOVED them. I saw that they had vanilla and sea salt caramel flavors so I decided to get one of each for when that sweet craving hits.


I love cashews and don't get them often so I got some cashews and I really wanted some dried apricots too. I also got dried cranberries because why not. I think these three would make a nice trail mix too!


I decided that I just really needed fresh veggies (I've only been eating cooked) so I decided to go for bagged salads. I could rationalize it in my head so I grabbed this one knowing I'd have to skip the dressing because it contains orange and orange peel. I grabbed 4 bags of salads because I knew I'd want a lot of them.


And here is my first beautiful salad! It is the salad mix with some cherry tomatoes (which I also grabbed from Aldi) and some vegan ranch dressing. It was exactly what I needed.


Another breakfast sandwich with beyond sausage and Violife Cheddar on a huge piece of amazing bread from Aldi.


Burrito bowl with rice, fat free refried beans, a tiny but of Violife shredded Mozzarella, corn and guac. It was DELICIOUS!!

I loaded up on snacks (veggie chips, snapea crisps, etc.), faux veggie chicken (FOUR BOXES of the cutlets and two of the tenders), and stuff like that. I'm set for breakfast sandwiches and oatmeal, have lots of bananas and apples and I'm just hoping that I'll be good with groceries for a few weeks.

This weekend I really wanted to work on some art so I made a few small pieces with LOTS and LOTS of detail. These two baseball card sized pieces took me an entire day. I'm super proud of them though.


I was feeling major Steampunk vibes creating this one.


And this one has a clearly nautical feel. I'm super proud of them and I love that blue color!

So that is all I have for you today! I hope that you are all safe and healthy and staying home!! 💚

7 comments:

Susan said...

Wonderful art! You are so talented.

I am glad you had a successful grocery shop, and were able to stock up on some stuff you love. I am feeling you about the raw veggies, I am craving salads like crazy at the moment! Just want a huge bowl of fresh, crunchy vegetables.

The Student-turned-Doctor said...

It's great you were able to find a less stressful store! I feel like I'm craving all the snacks these days, too, and I hardly ever buy or eat snacks in normal world. That cake looks amazing. I look forward to reading your review of it!

As for the anxiety and rationalizations--I'm right there with you! My apartment entry stairs become a sort of quarantine zone. I have felt better since reading about how little concern food apparently is for transmitting the virus, but still, if I can be cautious, I'll be cautious.

J said...

I'm so glad that your grocery trip went well and you were able to get so much good food; I think I'll try Aldi the next time I need to go out!
Your burrito bowl sounds amazing!
And I love your two most recent pieces; the way you've arranged the beads on the nautical one makes me think of the suckers on octopus arms!

Hillary said...

That chocolate cake looks so amazing, it will be a really nice treat!!
Trader Joe's is limiting customers too, and while it's still stressful, it's a lot more manageable.
That breakfast sandwich looks AMAZING!!

Jennifer said...

I swear there are a bunch of breakfast sandwiches being made during this pandemic and I am getting jealous! haha

Wegman's started limiting how many people could go in (though now I think NJ requires it) and I had a moment of panic because it just felt so surreal and scary. It's a weird time.

Sarah said...

Susan: Aww thank you! OMG I know, I think all of the freezer/pantry stuff just gets to you after a while. I've been enjoying the salads but I'm looking forward to when I don't have to worry about it.

the Student-turned-Doctor: I have definitely been in a snack zone because it's just easier and less fussy than meals. When I have a ton of anxiety my desire to cook is basically zero. My bedroom is the only place that I truly feel ok and sometimes that is shaky. I can't wait for this to be over.

Julie: Thanks, I'm glad it was ok and that it's over! Definitely try Aldi! They did a great job and keeping everything moving and making us feel safe. The burrito bowl was delicious, I really enjoyed it! Ooooh now that you mention it, they do look like Octopus arms! I love that!

Hillary: The cake was DELICIOUS! I have stayed away from Trader Joe's because I just read a lot of not great stuff about my local one so I decided I'm not risking or dealing with it. The breakfast sandwich is my favorite meal right now!

Jennifer: Breakfast sandwiches are the BEST! I'm so jealous of Wegmans! I love that store, we need one here! I know what you mean and I'm sorry that you felt panicked too. Hugs to you!

Mexican Vegan said...

Love the Vegan Pizza

Yolist Xoxo Comida Saludable / Restaurante Vegano
Gabriel García Márquez 100, Rincón del Contry, 67140 Guadalupe, N.L.
+528125317971