Friday, May 4, 2018

Fun Friday: Spring/Summer Bucket List

It's that time of year again where the temperatures climb (finally), the farmers markets open and summer plans start to take shape. Every year I make a summer bucket list which is basically just a list of things that I want to accomplish that summer. This year's list and particularly the meaning behind it is a little bit different. I've mentioned here before that I deal with some mental health issues and to be perfectly honest it has been a struggle lately. I struggle with being social and even just getting out of the house and while I'm better than I was before it is still a work in progress. So, this year's bucket list will have the underlining goals of self care and trying to start getting myself out a little bit more. It's hard because summer is our busy season but I will do the best I can.

You'll notice some repeats on the list from years prior. There are things that I love to do every summer and will continue to show up on these lists :) Here's what I have this year!

Farmers Markets


Of course the first item on my list would be to get to the Farmers Market more. I go a few times over the summer and only to the smaller market near me. There are only a few vendors and while it's great I get through it in 10 minutes. I want to go to bigger markets, especially the one that takes about 30 minutes for me to get to. That ride is one of my favorites, it is so beautiful and the destination is great as well. So my goal is to get to the market not only to actually go and support local vendors but to get out and around people and to try to enjoy the local communities.

Reading (Outside)


I've been trying to read more lately and I've been doing a pretty good job of it. My goal for the summer is to get outdoors and read. I want to soak up the Vitamin D, enjoy the beautiful environment around me, and be around people and start to become comfortable with it. I think that this will be a perfect form of self care, especially if accompanied by a refreshing beverage (bubble tea perhaps? 😉). I'm working on a summer reading list and would love some recommendations!

Visit The Beach!


I'm done posts in the past where I mention how I'm happiest when I'm by the water but again, I rarely ever go. My favorite time to go is early in the morning before the crowds and it is my intention to try to do that at least a few times this summer. It would be especially nice to get there early and take a walk along the shore with my feet in the water and then to sit on the boardwalk and read for a bit. 

Explore Long Island!


My blog name is Long Island Vegan so I guess it's pretty evident that I'm proud of where I live. When I first moved here about 20 years ago I wasn't thrilled but I've grown to love and appreciate it so much. It is beautiful and has a ton of history. I still want to visit all of the Mansions and Parks and it is still my goal to find the damn Greenhouses at the Welwyn Preserve (pictured above)! There are tons of amazing Estates that I would love to check out and photograph to share with you.

Try Vegan Restaurants!


There are obviously tons of vegan restaurants in the city but there are also tons of vegan restaurants and vegan friendly restaurants here on Long Island too! I have quite a few on my list to try and I just haven't yet but I'm determined to change that. Who knows, maybe I'll make it into the city at some point to give some of those restaurants a try as well. P.S. I don't know what restaurant that is above… I think it is in LA but I thought it would get the point across the best 😂

Get Back To The Gym


I used to be in pretty good shape. I worked out 6 days a week, trained with a trainer and felt amazing. I accomplished things I had no idea I was capable of. And then I stopped. And the longer I was out of the gym the more intimidated I became to go back. Now it's time to go back. I need to get back into a routine and feeling stronger and healthier. I'm absolutely intimidated by it but I'm also excited by it. I know that it will take time but I know I can back to being the fit girl I once was.

Get Work Done Outside of My House


I have a million projects going on at all times it seems. I run two blogs and have a ton of ideas that I'm constantly trying to work out. A friend suggested that I take my laptop and get out of the house and head over to a Starbucks or cafe or coffee house or whatever and get some work done there. It gets me out and around people and in a new environment. I thought it was a really great idea and I definitely plan on getting out and being productive outside of my house.

So that is my Spring/Summer Bucket List! Let me know if you have any suggestions of books to read or places to go! I would also love to hear what is on your summer bucket list!

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! See you on Tuesday!










7 comments:

Hillary said...

Great list. Lists are a great way to get things done without feeling overwhelmed I'm learning. And it feels so good to cross things off!
I struggle with going and doing things around people as well. And since my job is nothing but dealing with people I really struggle on my days off!

J said...

Great goals for spring and summer! I don't really have anything planned yet, but I'm hoping to visit a new animal sanctuary (Indraloka) at some point. Oh, and growing my garden again -- I got all the seeds planted on Tuesday! :)

Sarah said...

Thank you! I agree, I love lists.

I absolutely agree that us introverts need our quiet time to recharge. Unfortunately it also leads to a lot of loneliness so I'm just working on that and getting out and trying to be a little more social.

Sarah said...

Thank you! The sanctuary sounds amazing and hooray for gardening! I can't wait to see what it produces! Having a garden is definitely a dream of mine!

Jennifer said...

I would love to hear about what you do around Long Island. There so much they have to offer, but I HATE getting ON the island. Last time I went there my 2 and half hour drive was close to 4! It was terrible. But I have 3 Brothers Vegan Cafe on my bucket list, I want to take my Grandma there since she is just a short drive away. Now I see on Happy Cow there are even MORE vegan options. I remember 3 Brothers was THE ONLY vegan place on Long Island (if you ignore the NYC boroughs)

Sarah said...

I will definitely share! OMG that sounds awful! It definitely sucks driving around here, especially in the summer. 3 Brothers is on my bucket list (can you believe I haven't been there?!) as well as The Purple Elephant. There are some places I definitely want to check out just in terms of Long Island history. Oh, I definitely recommend checking out the Sweet to Lick Market and Bakery in Williston Park! They are two stores apart and it's worth checking out both. If you get to the bakery I recommend the Swiss Rolls (they aren't stocked often but if they are grab them!!), the Rocky Road Bars, the Rainbow Cookies and the Whoopie Cookies :) If I'm being honest I would say stick with the display case closest to the door and avoid the cupcakes.

Jennifer said...

Hmm... maybe I can convince my husband to do that. It looks like it would only add 10-20 minutes to the drive overall. And I could buy a whole cake to bring to the next get together.