Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Birthday Weekend Recap!

Hey everyone! I hope that you are doing well and that you had a great weekend! First, I just wanted to say thank you SO MUCH for the amazing support and feedback in my last post. I feel incredibly lucky to have made such wonderful, supportive friends through this blog and I want you to know how truly grateful I am.

Just a quick note before I head into the birthday deliciousness. I went through all of my posts this weekend and added some labels to them. I don't know why I haven't done that the whole time but I decided to do it before I added to the post count too much. It was a daunting task but it is done!

Anyway, I had such an amazing birthday weekend and I'm really excited to share it with you. It was relaxing and exceptionally delicious ;) That said, you'll notice that there is plenty of gluten and nightshades in these meals/treats. I decided that I'm just going to do what I want for my birthday weekend and start fresh this week. So check out all of the deliciousness and all of the hauls!


The very first thing I did for my birthday was start my day with a large peach bubble tea. It was the perfect way to start the day!


After I got bubble tea I went to the Sweet To Lick Market and picked up some goodies! They had stocked up on Wayfare products and you know I love that French Onion dip so I grabbed that. I've also been craving queso lately and they had the nacho cheddar dip so I grabbed that as well. I'm really excited to try the soy curls as well! I don't know how I'll try it first but I'm very excited. I have rationalized this haul by telling myself that other than the jerky (which is already gone, let's be honest) everything is gluten free. 😂 The onion dip is so good with carrots so that's how I'll finish it off.


We then went two doors down to the Sweet To Lick Bakery and grabbed some birthday treats! The tart was the most amazing chocolate peanut butter tart and the cookie was my favorite oreo chocolate chip whoopee cookie. I love their treats because they are not cloyingly sweet. That tart was perfect.


I chose to go to Oak House Mexican Kitchen for my birthday dinner because they have a regular menu for my omni family and a full vegan menu for me. It is so nice to be able to choose whatever you want and not have to make substitutions. Wait until you see what I chose.


OH. EM. GEE. You guys. This is the Seitan Tinga Burrito Loco and it was freaking incredible. And massive. Look at how huge that thing is. I got through half of it and saved the rest for leftovers. If you are in the Long Island area I highly recommend Oak House.


The next day I went to Trader Joe's and this is more indicative of what my grocery hauls will look like from now on. No gluten. No nightshades. Lots of yummy produce. I'm not going to lie, the lack of tomatoes is a sad thing for me.


I decided that this first week I am working solely on eliminating gluten and nightshades from my diet and from there I'll knock out the processed foods as well. I'm not really concerned about these three things pictured above as they are all gluten free and not horrific for you. 


On Sunday (which I still considered birthday weekend 😂) I made a grilled cheese with the Follow Your Heart American cheese that I got from the market. This is my favorite way to use it and I wanted to have it one more time as I have not found a gluten free bread yet. I'm not sure how I'll use the rest but I'll figure it out. Anyway, I'm not going to lie, I make a damn good grilled cheese, ha! Pairing it with a honey crisp is perfect because it adds a little freshness to the heaviness of the sandwich.


Finally, Sunday night was birthday dinner part two. It doesn't look pretty but it was just as delicious the second time around. I also had the other half of my peanut butter tart later.

So there was my birthday weekend! It was a really nice weekend and having the three day weekend was really great. I'll be back on Friday to show you some of the meals I've come up with for this first week of Gluten Free, Nightshade Free Vegan eating.

Thanks again for all of your support from my last post and for all of the birthday wishes. It truly means so much to me 💜 Have a great week!

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

Everything looks good! At least those bubble tea drinks will work with your new diet... right? I love those ABC bars. So good, and much cheaper than the nut filled clif bars.

Bianca said...

Happy belated birthday!!! What a great birthday weekend of eating! I like to drag mine out and eat as many treats as possible. ;-)

Also, you got the ABC Bars! yay! I love them. I will look for those cornbread chips next time. Sounds amazing.

J said...

I'm so glad to hear you had a nice birthday weekend! The Butler soy curls are great; I can't wait to see how you use them! And your birthday dinner looks absolutely incredible!

The Student-turned-Doctor said...

Happy birthday! I am fully on board with you having your sort of "last hurrah" with gluten for your birthday weekend. The burrito and the tart look SO GOOD. And yes, it looks like you make an amazing grilled cheese. Having it with honeycrisp apples would be a real treat!

I'm sorry you're sad about the lack of tomatoes. That will probably be hard for a bit. But I know of many fruity salads (like strawberry-spinach salad, or an Asian salad with oranges) that would be awful if you added tomatoes, so maybe there are some fun experiments in your future.

Meanwhile, if only I could find those soy curls everyone is eating somewhere near me! It seems like that should be more commonly stocked than some of the vegan options that do appear.

Sarah said...

Thanks!! Yeah, it should be a good once in a while treat. It still has sugar which I should also stay away from but I'll still drink it ;) The bars are so good!

Sarah said...

Thank you!! it was definitely a great weekend of deliciousness!

The bars are so good! I am so glad I remembered them this time! Yeeeesssss cornbread chips!

Sarah said...

Thank you! It was definitely a great weekend :) I can't wait to try the soy curls, I have to do some research and see how I want to try them. Thanks, it was amazing!

Sarah said...

Thank you!! I figured that since I hadn't started yet I may as well live it up ;) They were both delicious, a perfect birthday dinner and dessert. I love pairing heavier meals with fruit to freshen it up a bit. It's really delicious.

Yeah, I eat tomatoes most days so I'm just going to have to figure out ways to replace it. I love fruit salads though, my favorite is with apples, cranberries and walnuts. I will definitely be eating lots of those this fall!

Aww I hope you can find them soon! You can always order them online or if you want I could always send you some!

Hope you are feeling better <3

Hillary said...

Happy Birthday! Your burrito looks so freaking gorgeous! That's how mine always look in my mind!
You got some great treats! I'm going to be trying to make a homemade version of that wayfare cheese soon. I used to get it at Wegmans and I haven't been able to find it anywhere near me.
I can't wait to see your meals, you can do it!!!

Sarah said...

Thank you!!! The burrito was incredible, I'm so glad I chose that place, everyone seemed really happy there. I always forget how nice it is just to be able to order off the menu without having to make any changes!

Thanks! OMG I tried the cheese dip and it's incredible!! I didn't realize it has peppers in it (I don't know why I didn't think about that) so I won't really be able to eat it again I don't think but it's so good and I'm going to enjoy this container while I can.

Thank you!!