Friday, September 28, 2018

Transitioning To Gluten Free And Nightshade Free

Hey everyone! I hope that you are all doing well and that you had a great week. Things are going ok here, I'm working on transitioning into my gluten free, nightshade free lifestyle and it has been difficult and slow moving. It's a lot of work to try and prep and plan everything and I feel like I didn't have a ton of time to plan before jumping in which made it more difficult. I've been focusing on getting everything planned and doing the best I can so I haven't taken much time to photograph a lot. So, I figured I'd share the few (ok two) pictures that I do have and then show you some of the recipes that I found on Pinterest that I plan on making in the next few weeks!


As you guys know I am not a huge fan of Kombucha. There are maybe two that I like and the one above being my all time favorite. It is from Target and it's the only place you can find it. I had it twice and then for months have not been able to find it. For some reason on Tuesday morning I decided to go to Target before work to see if I could find it and wouldn't you know it they FINALLY stocked it! So, I grabbed every single one they had 😂 There were 7 bottles and their Kombucha is reasonably priced between $2 and $3. I drink half at a time so this is 2 weeks worth of probiotic goodness. I was SO HAPPY because probiotics was on my radar for building wellness as well so I'm really happy about it.


I also decided to get some veggie rolls with brown rice for lunch one day. I'm switching over to brown rice as refined white rice is something else that supposedly causes inflammation so I'll just make the small changes where I can. I paired it with a delicious honeycrisp and it was a perfect lunch.

So, as I mentioned above, preparing and planning is going to be crucial to my success of maintaining this lifestyle. I always hesitate to use the words restricted or limited or anything like that regarding a vegan diet because you always want to show how abundant a vegan diet can be as there are definitely a ton of options. However, the nature of the lifestyle is basically that there are limitations and restrictions on what you will eat and to add on two more big limitations is difficult. So I've been doing my research to get some ideas of delicious meals I can make vegan, gluten free and nightshade free. I plan on having a meal prep day on Monday so I thought it would be fun to share some of the recipes I've found on Pinterest!


The first thing that I wanted to figure out was how I was going to substitute for tomato sauce. There are plenty of options for gluten free pasta and pizza crusts but without tomato sauce it is a little ore difficult (particularly for pizza). I know pesto is always an option but it's not my absolute favorite. Then, as I was perusing Pinterest, I spotted this recipe for Creamy Garlic Pasta from the Minimalist Baker and I knew that creamy garlic sauce was the answer to my dilemma! Obviously I would not use the tomatoes if I made the pasta but that sauce is perfect and I can't wait to try it (omg you guys, how good is that going to be on pizza?!).


The next thing that really caught my eye were these beautiful Chickpea Flour Mini Veggie Frittatas from The Mostly Vegan. These cuties are a combination of sautéed veggies (I will of course leave out the nightshades) combined with a batter made from chickpea flour, nutritional yeast and seasonings to make these adorable frittatas. These will be a perfect on the go breakfast, particularly paired with some fresh fruit. I'm really excited to make these and I probably will on meal prep Monday. Hopefully that means I'll have some photos to share on Tuesday 😉


Potatoes are probably the food (along with tomatoes) that is going to be the most difficult for me to give up. I saw these adorable Cauliflower Hash Browns from Healthier Steps and was so excited to see this as an option. I think these are such a great answer to potato hash browns for those days where you just want a full delicious brunch. I can see these being a great pairing with the mini frittatas I discussed above or I can see them as a great option for an avocado toast substitute (omg imagine these topped with fat free refried beans and avocado for breakfast with an apple?! Yes please!). I definitely will be making these in the future and hopefully they will freeze well!


Gluten free baking has always been really daunting to me but I guess now is the time that I need to jump in! I decided that these Black Bean Brownies from The Pretty Bee would be a great way to start since I won't have to buy a million different flours. Chocolate is always delicious and these are packed with protein from the beans. I've always been curious to try so I think I will give these a try pretty soon!


My basic bitch is coming out and I've been craving some pumpkin bread big time. I found this recipe for One Bowl Gluten Free Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread from The Beaming Baker and knew I had to give it a try. I think it'll be delicious and a perfect way to satisfy the fall baking cravings. I haven't decided if I'm going to make a loaf or some muffins but either way I can't wait to try these!


For the last recipe I found another fall treat that looks so delicious and I think I want to make for Thanksgiving! They are these beautiful Paleo Apple Pie Crumb Bars by Jay's Baking Me Crazy. I've never been one to really subscribe to the whole Paleo thing but I knew it would definitely work in my favor to find some gluten free vegan recipes and this one is perfect. The shortbread crust is made out of almond flour, there aren't a ton of ingredients and the final product is gorgeous. I definitely see these happening in my future, hopefully for Thanksgiving so I can enjoy some dessert as well 😉

So that's what I have to share with you today! Sorry I didn't have more of my meals to share with you but as I mentioned, I've been a bit of a mess this week and completely disorganized. I hope to have more to share on Tuesday along with some meal prep so you can see what I have planned for next week's meals as well.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! 💜







14 comments:

Hillary said...

I know what you mean about adding a restriction on top of restrictions. But it looks like you have some amazing meals planned. I definitely think the creamy garlic sauce on a pizza sounds AMAZING!! And those cauliflower hash browns!!!!!!
Smith's organic brand has a blueberry grape kombucha and it's really tasty!


Smith

J said...

Looks like you found a lot of great recipes! The creamy garlic pasta sounds amazing; I'll have to try it sometime! The Paleo stuff always annoys me, haha, but those apple pie crumb bars look really good!

Unknown said...

Have tried ohsheglows avocado pasta? It’s delicious and really easy- i’ve also made it with cilantro instead of basil. I think it’s nightshade free....?
https://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/31/15-minute-creamy-avocado-pasta/

That’s totally exciting target had your booch! I swear every since i started drinking kombucha daily my tummy freaking loves me no matter what i do to it! (I make my own since that ish adds up)
Please post your thoughts on the chickpea frittatas, those sound promising!
Ttrockwood

Sarah said...

I'm pretty happy with what I've come up with, I think it'll be a good start! The garlic sauce sounds delicious, I can't wait to try it!

Oooh that's good to know if I can't find this kombucha! It's seriously my favorite!

Sarah said...

Thanks, I think so too! If you try it I can't wait to see what you think! Haha I know, I think Paleo is super gimmicky but the bars sounded great and I knew they would most likely work for me and they do! I am definitely going to make them for Thanksgiving!

Sarah said...

I always tell myself I'm going to try that avocado pasta but I never have! I definitely need to try it now, I bet it would be great on zucchini noodles or gluten free pasta! Thanks for the link!

I am really excited to get back into a probiotic routine. The capsules that I had were way too strong and were just painful to take. It is definitely pricey and I would love to try and make my own some day! How do you flavor it? Do you just add some juice to it? The target brand one is really affordable… it's a little more than a dollar per serving for me since I drink half at a time and I'm definitely ok with that.

I'm going to make those this week, I'll definitely let you know!!!

The Student-turned-Doctor said...

Pinterest is a great source for inspiration! I know what you mean about restriction upon restriction. I'm currently trying to focus on what I want to add to my diet rather than take away, but I do know I may have to give some things up sometime soon. I've been trying to eat more ginger, because that has an anti-inflammatory effect, or so they say. I already ate turmeric in a lot of things (that's the other anti-inflammatory addition many have recommended).

There are a lot of creamy sauces that don't require tomatoes or potatoes, but they can be hard to find. Have you ever tried making a cheesy sauce with butternut squash? Most of the cashew cream cheese sauces for pasta use potatoes, but not all. I've made some with butternut squash and it's really good--not so much cheese, as creamy, but still good. Here's one example: https://ohsheglows.com/2011/10/03/butternut-squash-mac-n-cheeze/

And don't underestimate a good peanut sauce for rice noodles. I loved that vegan, gluten-free meal long before I was vegan myself. Several companies make brown rice noodles.

I know how overwhelming it is right now. Hang in there. I think it'll get easier for you as you learn more and find more options. It's almost like becoming vegan all over again, isn't it?

Sarah said...

I love the idea of looking for things to add for optimal health rather than focusing on things I need to take away. I have heard that ginger and turmeric are both great. I am thinking about trying golden milk lattes in the morning as my "coffee." Something that I really want to get into my diet on a regular basis is the probiotics because I've heard that they just make the biggest difference.

Butternut squash sauce sounds perfect for the fall and winter! I'll definitely have to give that a try as the weather cools down. There are definitely a lot of options out there, I just think of tomato sauce as the default. I'm really excited for the garlic sauce too, I think it's going to be delicious. Oh yes, peanut sauce!! I have been searching for a recipe that looks easy and yummy :)

Thank you so much <3 I know you can relate and I appreciate all of your help and suggestions. I know we'll both be ok and I'll be here to support you during your journey as well! And yes, it does feel like that!

Anonymous said...

Peanut butter, orange juice, and fresh cilantro make a great easy base for peanut sauce. Then you can customize it with soy sauce (or tamari), garlic, ginger, etc to suit your tastes.

Sarah said...

That sounds great! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

No problem. My uncle is a chef and he’s the one who taught me that trick. He learnt it years ago from a Chinese master when he was just starting out.

Jennifer said...

Good luck with this! Have you tried any of the recipes yet?

Sarah said...

Oooh what a great resource! Thanks for sharing!

Sarah said...

Thank you! <3 I tried the mini chickpea flour frittatas and they are delicious!