Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Aldi Haul & Stuff I Ate

Hey everyone! I hope that you are all doing well. Sorry for the random brief hiatus, I just wasn't feeling well and hadn't been eating much. When I did eat I just didn't feel like photographing anything so I just decided to skip Friday's post. I don't really have all that much food to share with you today either but I do have an Aldi's Haul for you! Jennifer from One Raw Bite had mentioned that they have gluten free bread and there is a location about 30 minutes from me so I took a ride out there with my mom to take a look. I can't believe how much great stuff they have for really awesome prices! I am very happy with what I got (spoiler alert, they didn't have the gluten free bread, wah!) and wanted to make sure to share the haul with you.


So that bread was a fail on my part. I figured that sprouted grain bread would be ok since I had heard that it's the next best option to gluten free and it's easy to digest and all that stuff. Well, I opened it to make some toast and it immediately smelled sweet so I just knew that I must have overlooked an ingredient. Sure enough, I missed the honey in the ingredients. This is why you don't read ingredients when you have a migraine my friends. I am annoyed at myself that I keep forgetting that I have an app where you just scan a barcode and it tells you if the product is vegan and I just didn't use it. Anyway, someone else will be enjoying that bread. The other stuff I got was some beautiful red grapes ($.99 per pound!! A huge bag cost $2.50), Organic chocolate coconut clusters, trail mix, sweet potato chips and cucumber dill hummus. Doesn't that flavor sound amazing?!


They have their own brand of gluten free products so I loaded up. Those bags of gluten free crackers were only about $2.50 each so I stocked up on 2 since I knew I wouldn't be going there super often (and you get two huge bags for the price of one small box of gluten free crackers in the grocery store). Those will be perfect for hummus or vegan cheese or dip or whatever. I also got gluten free wraps for quesadillas or whatever other wrap type things I want to make. I found these gluten free cookies for chocolate cravings and I'm hoping that my eyes didn't fail me on those but when I read the ingredients they definitely seemed vegan. I'm going to check again before I eat them but I'm pretty positive. 

I'm really excited about all of the stuff I got! I am hoping to be able to do some taste tests over the week so I can review as many of these products as I can for you on Friday!

I managed to grab 2 pictures of stuff I ate over the past week so I figured I'd still share them with you.


This meal was earlier last week when I wasn't feeling quite so crappy yet. It was some dolmas, hummus, roasted veggies and an apple. It was such a delicious meal.


For a snack/small meal I had a banana and some kombucha. I'm mostly been eating small bits here and there because I just feel crappy. I had a migraine for about 4 days which kills your appetite and desire to do pretty much anything. I am definitely excited to taste the stuff I got from Aldi's though and I am looking forward to sharing the reviews with you.

I hope you have a great week! I'll see you on Friday 💜

8 comments:

The Student-turned-Doctor said...

I'm sorry you're not feeling well! I'm glad Aldi works for you; I get very anxious there and people are impatient so it's hard to read the ingredient lists. I could imagine, though, that the cookies were vegan; a lot of cookies are.

Hillary said...

When I lived in PA I loved Aldi! I know they've recently become a lot more vegan forward so that's super awesome! Great price on the gluten free crackers. Gluten free stuff is so expensive so you definitely have to stock up on the deals!!!
I'm so glad you're feeling better.

Sarah said...

Thank you <3 I think the only reason it worked was because we went earlier in the morning close to when they opened. I have a feeling if I went and it was crowded I would not have been as enthused. I was shocked by the price and quality of their produce. The next time I go I'm going to have a list of meal prep recipes to make a freeze so I can take advantage of the prices without worrying that I won't get to the fresh stuff in time.

The cookies are vegan! I checked a million times plus I used that app and I'm happy to confirm that they are. And spoiler… they are soooooo good! :)

Sarah said...

I feel like I've been missing out this whole time I haven't been going! They are definitely vegan friendly, their produce prices are AMAZING and the gluten free options are great as well. I'm excited to go back!

Thanks, the headache is finally gone and I'm so grateful for that!

J said...

That's great that you made it to Aldi; looks like a good haul! The sweet potato chips sound fun; I'll have to keep an eye out for them! Hope you're feeling better and you get your appetite back so you can enjoy your goodies!

Sarah said...

I'm really glad that I made it over there as well! I'm so happy with everything I've tried so far! I haven't tried the chips but I'll definitely let you know how they are when I do :)

Thanks!

Jennifer said...

all day migraines are the worst! I can't imagine having one for several days! Hope you are feeling better.

Oh no about the bread! At least you got some other foods! They always have some sort of fruit super cheap on sale. Also they MIGHT just be out of stock on the bread, so it might eventually come back, though thinking about it, they might not be vegan. It just occurred to me I never read the label. One of those bad assumptions that bread is always vegan sort of deal. >.<

Sarah said...

It was pretty brutal but I'm so glad it's over now. The longest I've had was 6 days and it was pretty much the worst lol. The haul was really great, I'm so glad I ventured out there and I can't wait to go back! The crackers alone were worth the trip, ha!