Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Mini Haul and Stuff I Ate

Hey everyone! I hope all is well! I hope you liked Friday's post about the RISE of the Jack O'Lanterns event. I had such a great time at the event and was very excited to share it with you. I'm hoping to be able to venture out more and experience more on Long Island to share with you in the future. For today, I have all of the food to share!!

First up I have a mini haul from Trader Joe's. I decided to take a picture of my cart before I headed over to checkout.


So here's the haul: A bag of the Crunchy Curls (so addictive you guys), some Tater Tots (when you add nightshades back in obviously you go for the tater tots!), hummus, avocados, baby carrots, an onion, mirepoix, grape tomatoes, zucchini and butter lettuce.

So I know the mirepoix is kind of lazy but my plan for that is to dump it into a bowl, mix it up and dump it back into the container to hold in the freezer. I thought it would be perfect for when I just want to make a single serving bowl of chick'n noodle soup - I can just grab a few tablespoons and not have to worry about waste and chopping veggies forever when I just want a quick bowl of soup.


This is the apple pecan baked oatmeal all served up. I added a little almond milk to it and it was so delicious.


I made a bento lunch of a wrap (gluten free wrap with lettuce, hummus and the fajita veggies I made last week (I had this meal earlier in the week) and an apple on the side. The wrap combination was great but the actual wrap was a little brittle for my liking. I was hoping that it would soften up as it sat in the fridge all morning but it didn't really.


Some sushi rolls which I ate with my gorgeous new chopsticks! I really wanted to get a set of reusable chopsticks (I also got a set of steel straws because I am a straw girl) and these rainbow steel ones are beautiful. I have to get used to using them but I am so happy with them. They were $.99 (I got them here) and I plan on getting a few more pairs to have on hand. I'm not affiliated with them… I just think they are pretty.


This was a burrito bowl that I made. It had brown rice, fat free refried beans (from Trader Joe's), fajita veggies and mashed avocado. I was kind of wishing I made this into a quesadilla because I just ended up leaving most of the rice but it was still good.


This was by far my favorite meal of the week, ha! I made a vegan chick'n caesar salad with the butter lettuce and some morningstar grilled chick'n strips that I had and paired it with some tots! I don't think the chick'n is gluten free but I had it in my freezer and I didn't really want to waste it because it's kind of expensive. This meal was so freaking delicious.


Finally, I made the quesadilla I was talking about above. This just has refried beans and fajita veggies because my avocados were not ripe yet. The gluten free wraps are much better when toasted up like this. It was really delicious.

So that's what I have for you today! I'll be back on Friday and I hope you have a great week!

8 comments:

Hillary said...

I love butter lettuce so much! The salad and tots combo sounds like heaven! I also really love your plate! I love the chopsticks, I wish I were better at using them.
What brand of gluten free wraps did you find?

J said...

Nice haul, and sounds like a good idea with the mirepoix! All your meals look delicious, especially the salad and tater tots, yum!

Sarah said...

Butter lettuce is definitely the best lettuce and the salad and tots were the perfect combo! The chopsticks are heavier and bigger than I'm used to so I have to get used to them. Those are the gluten free wraps I found at Aldi.

Sarah said...

Thanks! I think the mirepoix will be perfect to have in the freezer heading into soup season. The salad and tots were the best!

The Student-turned-Doctor said...

Great haul! Is that a Monbento box? I've been intending to get one of those--such a good size, and the quality is excellent, I understand. It looks like you're doing well taking care of yourself.

Sarah said...

Yes, it is Monbento! I love this box so much, it is my favorite one I've ever owned. The color is gorgeous, the size is perfect and I can't recommend it enough. It is worth the price. Thank you, I hope you are feeling well!

Jonathan Remsa said...

I love those chopsticks! I love that rainbow styled flatware, if I had tons of cash I would totally get some for my house (er... the forks, spoons, and clearly matching chopsticks lol)

I'm glad you are including nightshades back into your diet. It is one of those things where I doubt it does anything, but I don't like telling people things are wrong. Especially because it COULD be right, whether on a molecular level, or psychological level. Besides, nightshades are healthy foods, and sometimes they find that the "bad stuff" in fruits and vegetables, are actually good for you.

Sarah said...

They are such beautiful chopsticks! They have them in gold, silver, rose gold and black too. I think I will get the complete set at some point (they are less than $1 so why not!!). I love the rainbow flatware too.

Yeah, I thought it was weird but I wanted to give it a shot. It just seems weird, especially because tomatoes and potatoes are so nutrient dense. I don't feel any different since I've added them back in so I'm happy with my decision :)