Friday, October 12, 2018

Taste Tests and Stuff I Ate

Hey you guys! I hope you are well. Happy Friday! I'm back with a proper post that actually has vegan food and all kinds of fun things in it. I'm feeling a bit better and my appetite has been coming back so I made sure to photograph the yummy things I've been enjoying throughout the week. I also have a mini haul of stuff to fill in for the rest of the week and you guys… wait until you see the most amazing comfort meal I made. It's so simple but it was one of the best things I've eaten in a really long time! I'm also going to share my thoughts on some of the things I've tasted from my Aldi's haul.


Up first is a mini haul from Stop & Shop, my local grocery store. I grabbed a bag of baby spinach, a bag of spring mix, some baby carrots and two of the Dark Chocolate Coconut Silk yogurts that I saw on My Cat Loves Daiya's recent post! It sounded so good and they had it so I had to give it a try. I refuse to give up on finding a vegan yogurt that I like.


First up I tried the Cucumber Dill Hummus and the Gluten Free Black Sesame Crackers, both from Aldi. I love them both you guys. The hummus has a subtle flavor but it's really good and it pairs PERFECTLY with the crackers! The crackers are delicious and taste just like a regular multigrain cracker. It almost tastes like a tortilla chip to me. I bet these would be delicious with salsa, queso or guac. I love them both and will definitely be stocking up on them the next time I go.


Next up I tried the little gluten free brownie cookie things that I also got from Aldi. First, I know that I had questioned whether or not they were vegan after the whole honey in the bread debacle but after double checking they are definitely vegan. I included the ingredients and side of the box below for you to check out if you are curious. Anyway, I was shocked by how delicious they were. They have a light, soft texture with a really nice chocolate flavor and the chocolate chips are definitely an added bonus. I really enjoy these. I bet they would be great warmed up with a little ice cream on them too 😉 The only thing is that the cookies are tiny and there are 16 per box. The box was only $2.49 so it's not terrible but I didn't feel like it's as great of a value as some of the other things. However, during a chocolate craving these things will be priceless.




I have been craving sushi like crazy lately. I grabbed these rolls from Stop & Shop when I was there and it was really good! They were fresh and they cost $5.49 which isn't terrible. This one had 10 pieces which is a little less than the other store I get them from but they were also $2 cheaper (the other store raised the price to $7.49 😩). They were delicious and exactly what I wanted.


You guys. This picture sucks thanks to crappy lighting but Oh. My. Goodness. I made gluten free, vegan chicken noodle soup and I AM LIVING FOR IT. It was so simple, it was quick (it took maybe 20 minutes start to finish) and most importantly, it was delicious. The core ingredients were Better than Bouillon No Chicken Base, gluten free noodles and soy curls!! It was really delicious. I do just need to work on the proportions a bit (you'll see I lost a lot of my broth, oops) and when I perfect it I'll make sure to share the recipe with you guys!!

That's all I have for today! I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and I'll see you back here on Tuesday!



12 comments:

Bianca said...

Mmm, that soup sounds good right now! It got cold here all of a sudden. Also, those crackers look really great!

J said...

Glad you're feeling better and enjoying your Aldi finds; the cookies sound great! Also, your soup looks fantastic; I always prefer having more noodles than broth, haha!

The Student-turned-Doctor said...

I'm glad you have your appetite back! I always lose the broth in my soups when I add pasta, too. Go figure, huh? But it looks really good. I've been craving soup lately myself.

Hillary said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better! I use to really like going to Aldi when I lived in PA. And I'm glad they're so vegan friendly now!
That soup looks incredible, I can't wait for the recipe!

Sarah said...

The soup and crackers were awesome! Boo for the cold but I'm ready for some comforting warm foods :)

Sarah said...

Thank you <3 The cookies are really great for a chocolate craving! I didn't have high expectations but they definitely were really good. Ha! I do like having a lot of stuff in my soup but a little more broth would have been perfect :)

Sarah said...

Thank you! Between the pasta and the soy curls I should have expected it since the point is for them to soak up liquid. I thought I compensated enough but definitely not ;) I have been loving soup lately, it's definitely going to be a fall and winter staple for me.

Sarah said...

Thank you! <3 They are definitely very vegan friendly! They have all kinds of veggie burgers and stuff in the freezer too. I also saw vegan shredded cheese and all kinds of plant milk as well. I was so impressed.

Thank you! I can't wait to share it!

Jennifer said...

Oh man so many good foods! Glad those cookies were good, I might try them in the future. Can't wait to hear your thought on those yogurts too.

Sarah said...

They were really tasty, definitely give them a try! The yogurt was really good, but I feel like you definitely have to like coconut to enjoy them. Not something I'd eat often but good once in a while!

Unknown said...

Those better than bullion broths are such a lifesaver! I found a ton on crazy clearance (like $1 each) last spring so i have a lifetime supply now- there’s a mushroom broth one that’s crazy good.
And ugh, i know your pain on the veg sushi! The not horrible market i go to used to have a 9pc veg roll for $5.50. Now it’s 6pcs for $6.99. Ummm, no. Not nearly as good looking as yours either! The WF close to me has some too of course but that’s even more $illy.
Ttrockwood

Sarah said...

I was so impressed with how it tasted! Thanks for the heads up on the mushroom one, I would love to have that for ramen broth! I'm sure it's even better with a little miso added to it too!

OMG the Whole Foods sushi prices are ridiculous. I splurge on these rolls once in a while because they are so good and a nice treat. They are always really fresh too which makes it worth it for me. I finally found a sushi place that carries inari rolls (my favorite! - and no one carries them near me!) so I'm going to have to get in on some of that soon!