Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Trader Joe's Haul & Meal Prep

Hi everyone! I hope that you are all doing well and having a good week and that you had a great weekend! The weather was incredible this weekend so I definitely made sure to get out and enjoy the warmth and sunshine a little bit. On Sunday I really wanted to get my bubble tea so I went out and did that. After I got my tea I took a ride to my favorite spot on Long Island and just enjoyed my tea and the beautiful day. It wasn't a ton of time that I spent out and about (I'm still not feeling great) but I really did enjoy getting out and doing that. I can't wait for the Farmers Markets to open because that is another ride I really enjoy on a Sunday morning.

Before I went on my bubble tea run I went to Trader Joe's. I'm not quite sure why but Trader Joe's has become pretty unbearable even when they first open at 8am. I'm either going to have to find another time to go or figure out something else to do because it is so frustrating to be in a place that is so crowded and especially crowded with obnoxious people that leave their carts in the middle and have zero awareness of what is going on around them. Maybe I'll just go to Trader Joe's specifically for their specialty items that I get and just get my produce at H-Mart. I'll figure it out.

So let's get into the haul and some pictures of meal prep!


Grape tomatoes, green onion, brussels sprouts, asparagus, tater tots, honeycrisp apples, 2 Sunbutter cups (they finally had them and they are AMAZING!!), Mango Kombucha, dolmas, Mediterranean Hummus, teeny tiny potatoes and butternut squash zigzags.


I had to photograph my amazing bubble tea. Large peach pulp tea with 50% sweetness and boba. This was basically my brunch, ha!


For meal prep I roasted up all of my veggies. Here is the brussels sprouts and asparagus.


I have been craving squash and I knew that I just wouldn't be able to cut it. When I saw the butternut squash zigzags I knew I wanted to try them. I hate that I have to spend extra on prepared produce but I guess these are some concessions I have to make.


I roasted up my teeny tiny potatoes as well. They look so good and I think all of the veggies will combine into some delicious meals!

So that's all I have for you today! I hope that you all have a great week and I'll see you here on Friday!

9 comments:

Hillary said...

I so agree with you about Trader Joe's. It's become almost unbearable every day, at any time of the day. More than any other store, the people there seem to truly be in their own world, and think that they are the only ones shopping there!! I feel triggered even thinking about it!!
Your roasted veggies look delicious, I see them all in a bowl with some rice and a tahini sauce!!

Unknown said...

I feel your TJs pain, shopping in any nyc store on the weekend is like asking for a panic attack.
Are you able to go like on a random weeknight? I’m sure it’s still busy after work but maybe easier than the weekend.
And so what if you need to buy pre cut produce?? They sell it because tons of people can’t/won’t cut it themselves, so certainly take the help where you can when you need it- especially because butternut zigzags sound fantastic! I love having a bunch of roasted veg on hand for quick easy meals.
Sunday bubble tea and sunshine sounds lovely :)) I can’t wait until the farmers market has good stuff again- I actually just signed up for Misfit Produce, which is organic produce that’s mishaped and sold at a big discount, my first box comes tomorrow and I’m going to try that for a while
Ttrockwood

The Student-turned-Doctor said...

I'm trying to give up feeling guilty about things like prepped produce and not getting my laundry done. I hope you can, but maybe we'll both just have to work on it together. But zig zags! So cool!

Trader Joe's is too crowded for me most of the time--nearly all of the time, really. I love a lot of what they sell but it's been ages since I was there. It and Aldi are my shopping nemeses.

Sarah said...

Hillary: I hate that it's like that because I love the store so much but it's so hard for me to get through it. There is just not enough room for people to be leaving their shit all over. It makes the experience so much worse than it has to be. I think I'm just going to stick to my plan of getting things I can only get at Trader Joe's there and get my produce at H-Mart (the produce is always the worse section anyway. Thanks! Oooh that would be so good! I love roasted veggies with hummus so thinning out some hummus would be a great sauce too!

Ttrockwood: I don't know how you deal with the city, I live so close but never go because I just can't deal. It's so overwhelming for me. My store happens to be one of the top 15 busiest stores in the country so it's just busy all the time and it sucks. The parking lot sucks and the obnoxious shoppers suck. I think I just feel like it is a waste to cut corners but at this point I don't have a choice so I will continue to do so. The zig zags are too cute anyway so I'm glad I got them! Oooh the misfit produce box sounds awesome! I've heard of them before and thought it was a great idea! Do you get to choose what kinds of produce you get? I would love to try it but I'm so picky I'm afraid a lot of it would go to waste.

The Student-Turned-Doctor: It's really hard to move past the feelings of guilt and into the acceptance. For me I am also angry at myself for taking things like being able to cut a potato for granted. The zig zags are awesome and it made it a little more fun for me and a little easier for me to say yes to prepped stuff ;) I totally get why Trader Joe's is so crowded because it's awesome but it's just really hard to get through. I don't have as much of a problem with the Aldi I go to but the TJs is rough. Is there anything (non-perishable) in particular that you really wanted from Trader Joe's? I can grab it and send it to you!

Susan said...

That sounds like a nice weekend with the bubble tea and the sitting.
I hate when shops are super crowded, and I don't understand why so many people are so inconsiderate of others. I definitely have times I avoid going shopping because I know it will be too much.
Your meal prep looks great! Those butternut zigzags looks great. Chopping up a butternut is now beyond me most of the time as well. Sometimes I can get them pre-chopped, otherwise I get my dad to do the chopping.

Sarah said...

Susan: It was so nice to grab that bubble tea and take a nice ride. I don't understand why it is so hard to be aware of your surroundings but I guess that's something I'll never understand. Thank you! I find that meal prepping really helps me because I'm usually so tired after work so it helps having all of it made! Chopping veggies is the worst!

J said...

Glad you had a nice weekend, and it looks like you got a good haul even though Trader Joe's was so crowded! The butternut squash zigzags are so cute; I always get butternut squash pre-chopped, but I've never seen it in such fun shapes! All your roasted veggies look fantastic!

Sarah said...

Julie: Thanks, Julie! The zigzags are definitely fun, I'm glad I got them. Thanks, I LOVE roasted veggies!

Jennifer said...

Agh! People leaving their shopping carts in the middle of an aisle is honestly the worst! It should be a crime!