Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Treat Yo Self (Well): Whole Foods and Trader Joe's Hauls

Hey everyone! I hope that you are all doing well and that you had a great weekend! Mine was pretty good and now we are back to another work week. I mentioned last week that I was going to go ahead and have a little bit of a Treat Yo Self weekend and it's funny how the meaning of it changed pretty quickly.

My intention was to go to Whole Foods and pick up some harder to find vegan fun foods that I can't really get closer to me. Instead, I decided that I need to treat myself... well. Which means rather than put  more processed garbage into my body, I need to feed it really beautiful, colorful, vibrant, nourishing food. I've mentioned it before but I suffer with chronic pain and it has gotten much much worse lately. I am sick and tired of putting pills and garbage into my body and having negative reactions and just feeling really shitty. So I decided that I'm going to heal myself from the inside out. I'm going to try to eat mostly anti inflammatory foods and see how it goes. I think it will be reflected in my hauls that I'm going to share. I still did treat myself just a tiny bit to just a few of my favorite things but for the most part it is all nourishing and will hopefully help me feel stronger and less pain.

So enough of that, let's get to the hauls!

First I quickly ran to Trader Joe's to grab a few things that I knew I could get cheaper there:


I got a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes, riced cauliflower, baby spinach, zucchini noodles, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, basil and the high protein tofu.

Then I trekked over to Whole Foods and got all of this goodness!


For produce we have a head of swiss chard, some honeycrisp apples, lemons, fresh ginger (I don't like ginger but I'm going to try!), asparagus, carrots (these are HUGE!!) and an avocado.


These are the grocery items that aren't totally terrible for you (although I guess the yogurt is questionable?). I got some Mary's gone crackers, Kite Hill Greek Yogurt to try (on sale 2/$3!) in Strawberry and Peach flavors, some firm tofu and four Larabars.


These are probably the "worst" foods for me but you can see I didn't get much. I got some of the golden sesame tofu from the salad bar (it's one of my favs!) some of the Follow Your Heart Provolone slices (because sometimes you just need a grilled cheese and it's been way too long), four of the Thai Peanut Primal Strips (I controlled myself and limited it to four) and the SeaSnax Chomperz which are oddly addictive.

So that's what I picked up to treat myself! I have a few things planned and I can't wait to show you what I come up with for meals. As I mentioned I'm looking to eat a majority of anti inflammatory deliciousness and that also means I'm going to try to cut the gluten out as well (although I will be eating a grilled cheese on whole grain bread every now and then). We'll see what I come up with!


Here is a little bonus meal ha! I told you I'd be making a grilled cheese out of the Follow Your Heart cheese and you guys. It was so good and worth it. I knew I had to have one treat meal since I was making it a Treat Yo Self kind of weekend so here it is! I added some sun dried tomatoes and fresh basil and it was seriously delicious. The Follow Your Heart cheese is by far the best I've tried on grilled cheese by far. 

What do you eat when you aren't feeling well? What are some of your favorite gluten free recipes? Let me know!

I will see you on Friday with some meals that I've made throughout the week! Hope you all have a great week! <3




10 comments:

Hillary said...

Great haul! It all looks so fresh and beautiful. I always feel better when my fridge and counter are filled with fruit and veg.
I haven't tried those Chompers yet, but I've heard they're good.
You're grilled cheese looks drool worthy!
As you know gluten free has been a challenge for me. I can tell you Trader Joe's brown rice pasta is the best deal. An I still haven't found an affordable vegan gluten free bread!

Jennifer said...

Always better to try and eat more healthfully. If you aren't a big ginger fan, you could always make juice shots with them. If you have a juicer, juice mostly ginger and a little apple or lemon and make small 2 oz shots. We had these as the juice shop I use to work at, though we usually put cayenne or you can add turmeric to it as well. That way you just take it and get it over with.

Bianca said...

Ooh, I have some FYH Pepper Jack at home. I NEED A GRILLED CHEESE!

Also love the idea of treating yourself with wholesome foods. I always feel best when I'm doing that (although I totally haven't been lately!).

Panty Buns said...

Your Trader Joe's haul looks yummy! Unfortunately the closest Trader Joe's location to me is in Smith Haven Plaza in Lake Grove - a bit of a long drive to the West of me as is Whole Foods. If I ever get close to there I'll keep it i mind. Your vegan eats look delicious!!! Sun dried tomatoes and fresh basil is tasty (must pick some up).
Eating fresh fruit seems to help me to feel better.

J said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to treat yourself! Also, your grilled cheese looks so good; I've added tomato slices before but somehow never thought of using sun dried tomatoes!

Sarah said...

Thank you! I was really happy with everything I got. I agree, having fruit and veggies around always makes me feel better.

The Chompers are so good. I thought it was weird at first bite but after the second bite I was obsessed haha. Thanks, the grilled cheese was amazing!

I think the biggest thing I'll miss is bread. I loooooove bread. Maybe I'll try to make my own.

Sarah said...

I agree, eating healthy is always a good idea. That's a great idea, thank you! Can I prepare a few in advance and refrigerate them? Maybe I'd do ginger, turmeric and pineapple and just chug it.

Sarah said...

Yes! Make the grilled cheese! :)

I agree, I always feel my best and it is definitely the best possible way to treat yourself!

Sarah said...

Thank you! Oh no! Hopefully you'll be able to make it out to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods soon. Thank you so much, definitely try it with the sun dried tomatoes and basil, it's so good! Fresh fruit is my fav :)

Sarah said...

Thank you! The grilled cheese was amazing. Definitely try sun dried tomatoes on there, they are amazing!