Friday, March 2, 2018

PinterTest 1: Breakfast Edition

Hey everyone! I hope that you are all doing well! I'm excited to bring you my first PinterTest post! This is where I finally go through some of my pins and test them out. For today's post I decided to try out two breakfast recipes. One was amazing and one was an epic fail and it was probably my fault, haha. Anyway, I'll show you the original picture and link to the pins and I'll show you how mine came out and what I thought of it!



Original Image: Source

The first recipe or meal idea that I wanted to try was the beautiful Mexican Avocado Toast pictured and linked above from Veganosity. It's a beautiful, simple, hearty breakfast and comes together really quickly so it's a great way to get you going before work or school and to sustain you for a while. Let's see how my version came out!


So let's be honest my picture is a little sad. Certainly not as beautiful as theirs but you guys. This toast is fucking good. I left off the hot sauce (that acid reflux ya'll) and the cilantro (because that shit tastes like soap) so my version had the core ingredients of toast, refried beans (I used the Trader Joe's fat free refried beans), some perfectly ripe avocado and some cherry tomatoes cut into quarters. It is seasoned simply with salt and pepper and I am definitely loving this simple but delicious breakfast. I definitely recommend trying it. Two thumbs up for this and I will certainly be making it again in the future.

Sooooooooo now we move on to my epic fail…



Original Image: Source

So my second venture was the Morning Glory Muffins from Baker By Nature. Let's be honest, that picture is gorgeous, how could I resist?! The muffins are packed with amazing ingredients like apples, carrots, raisins, walnuts and coconut. It sounded so delicious. And then I made one change that probably ruined the whole batch for me. 

Let's take a look at my images:



So they look fine, right? They actually look freaking delicious. I made only 1 change to the recipe. I used oat flour instead of whole wheat flour. I've done this with many recipes in the past and have never had a problem. I don't know if that is the culprit but these did not come out great. The texture was really strange. They were really dense but also super crumbly at the same time. They weren't dry but still just really crumbly. The other thing that I noticed about the flavor was that it was A LOT of cinnamon. I would definitely recommend cutting back on the cinnamon. I am a huge cinnamon fan but this was still a lot for me. I still love the idea of the recipe but if I were to try it again I would try it using the whole wheat flour and cutting the cinnamon down. I love the combination of flavors and ingredients, I think I just failed on execution. Live and learn!

Oh and side note, I don't know what the hell happened but when I came home from work the carrots on the top of the muffins had turned GREEN. What. The. Fuck?! It was maybe 10 hours after they came out of the oven. I have a feeling it was the way I stored them and maybe not cooling all the way before putting them in the container but it was really weird. Obviously I had to trash them which I HATE doing but I'm not eating green carrots.

So there is my first PinterTest! I hope you all enjoyed reading it! I certainly enjoyed finally getting to test these recipes. I'll have to start perusing my Pins again to pick some out for my next PinterTest!

Happy Friday and have a great weekend!




12 comments:

Hillary said...

I saw someone make toast similar to that on YouTube awhile ago and thought it looked amazing! I bet the beans help to keep you full. If I ever spring for gluten free bread again I'll definitely try this!
Why would the carrots turn green?That's so weird and scary!

Bianca said...

Oh no on the muffin fail! They do look pretty though! I feel like that carrot thing happened to me once before too. It sounds vaguely familiar. I wouldn't be able to eat them after that either.

I must try that toast combo. How have I never thought to put black beans on my avo toast???? That sounds amazing.

J said...

The toast looks fun! Too bad about the muffins, though. I had the turning-green thing happen once, but it was with sunflower seeds (on cornbread), and it freaked me out haha!

Sarah said...

OMG it is sooooo good and the beans definitely help it stick quite a bit. Definitely give it a try if you go for the bread! Have you ever thought of baking gluten free bread? You can make your own oat flour and try making oat bread? They have huge bags of oats at Trader Joe's for like $3.50.

I don't know, I was so grossed out though!

Sarah said...

I know, I was so disappointed because they looked and smelled good too! Ok well I guess I feel better knowing I'm not the only one with green carrots? So weird!

Definitely try the toast combo, it is so good! I think you'll love it!

Sarah said...

The toast was so delicious! That's so weird, it seems like it's a more common thing than I would have thought!

PaganAngel said...

The toast looks amazing, I can't wait to try it!

As for your carrot issues, it's happened to me before, and google says it's a chemical reaction from not mixing the baking soda in well enough (or using too much). Still totally safe to eat, if you're not put off by the appearance.

Ingrid said...

I loved your voice in this post -it had me giggling! I think the avo toast still looked pretty amazing. Usually oat flour works for me, too! I wonder what happened!

P.S. I hope you are surviving the nor’easter! I’ve heard Boston area is suffering the most, but you are also on the coast - stay warm and dry!

Jennifer said...

I might try that avocado toast today! I have an avocado in the fridge and all the other stuff.

Sarah said...

Thank you! The toast was delicious, I definitely recommend it!

I thought it might have been a reaction but I didn't know to what! Thanks for the info, that's good to know!

Sarah said...

Haha I'm so glad you enjoyed it! this is probably as close as you'll get to speaking directly to me I think so it's nice to know you enjoyed it ;)

We lost power for a few hours but we only got lots of rain and wind, no snow thankfully! Thank you!

Sarah said...

Yay! Let me know how you liked it!