Friday, November 16, 2018

Recipe! Vegan No Chicken Noodle Soup

Hey everyone! I hope that you are all doing well and that you had a great week. It snowed here yesterday and it was a mess but I guess the one benefit of still not having a car is that I didn't have to clean it off or drive in the disgusting weather. I'm hoping to have the car situation taken care of this weekend because it has been an absolute nightmare and my anxiety levels have been through the roof. That's why I thought today would be the perfect day to share my recipe for No Chicken Noodle Soup.

There is no better comfort food than chicken noodle soup. I have missed it so much as it was a staple in my diet when I was a kid. I decided to make it a mission to veganize it and luckily it was incredibly easy to do… so easy in fact that it feels ridiculous to share such a simple recipe. It's so good and authentic tasting (to me at least) that I feel like I have to share it. I know that there are a lot of recipes for chickpea noodle soup, tofu noodle soup, etc., but I felt like I wanted to find the perfect chicken substitute and I finally found it: Soy Curls!!! They are PERFECT for this soup and when I eat this soup it tastes really authentic and delicious.

Just as a note, if you see a link in the ingredients list it is just to share what I used to make the recipe, I have no affiliation with any company or product.


No Chicken Noodle Soup
Servings: I usually get two out of this but I guess it could feed one super hungry person?

Ingredients: 

1/4 cup mirepoix (mixture of chopped carrot, onion and celery)*
1 small clove of garlic, chopped
3 1/2 cups water
Black pepper to taste
1/3 cup uncooked noodles of choice (I used gluten free)
1/3 cup soy curls, dry

Directions:

1. In a soup pot (small to medium size), soften mirepoix for 2 minutes using a little cooking spray or water if you would prefer to be oil free. Add garlic and cook additional 1 minute.
2. Add water and No Chicken base to pot and season with black pepper to your taste (I like a lot of pepper!). Bring to a boil.
3. Add noodles and soy curls to pot and let them cook in the broth for 10-12 minutes until softened.
4. Serve and enjoy!

Notes: I don't like a ton of broth in my soup so this may end up being too little for some. If you prefer more broth add another 1/2 cup of water. Taste broth and if you feel like it was diluted too much add another 1/4 tsp of bouillon.

*I usually buy already chopped mirepoix from the store because I am lazy and I keep it in the freezer for quick bowls of soup. If you prefer to chop your own I would recommend doing a big batch (1-2 carrots, 1-2 celery stalks and 1 large onion) and storing it in the freezer to have when needed.


If you end up trying this recipe please let me know if you like it! You can make it gluten free by using gluten free noodles like I did. This soup will surely be a winter staple for me and I love how comforting it is. What are some of your favorite comfort foods? Have you been able to find vegan versions of it? 

I hope that you all have a wonderful weekend! I will see you back here on Tuesday! 💜



8 comments:

Hillary said...

Soup is one of my top three comfort foods! I always use chickpeas which are okay, but this seems so much moore authentic! I will definitely be trying this because starting tomorrow soy will be back in my life!

The Student-turned-Doctor said...

Sometimes simple things are best! I've been on a sporadic quest to veganize my favorite chicken enchiladas, so far to only moderate success. But I have quite successfully made really good vegan versions of beanie weenies, mac & cheese, and chocolate cake, so I have a reasonably good track record and I'm hopeful.

J said...

Simple recipes are my favorite, and I love vegan chicken noodle soup, so I'll definitely give your recipe a try!

Sarah said...

I agree, soup is one of my favorite foods and I eat a lot of it in the winter! This way felt more authentic to me and I'm glad that you'll be able to try it!

Sarah said...

I have to agree, I gravitate toward simple foods. I hope that you are able to veganize your enchiladas and that you'll share the recipe after! It sounds like you've had great success so I know you'll be able to do it!

Sarah said...

Ahhh I hope you love it!! Let me know what you think when you try it!

J said...

Made it this week; it was so, so good! :D

Sarah said...

Yay! I'm so happy that you liked it!! <3