Friday, November 23, 2018

Thanksgiving Feast

Hey everyone! Happy belated Thanksgiving! Whether or not you celebrate the holiday I hope you had a great day yesterday. I spent my day with family and it was really nice but OMG so cold. You guys. It's so fucking cold. It dipped into the 20s and I hate it 😂 Anyway, I enjoyed a Thanksgiving feast yesterday and I remembered to take pictures for you!


Before I get into the Thanksgiving goodies I have an AMAZING udon noodle soup to share. I had a sad packet of mushroom udon noodle soup that I needed to use (it was the refrigerated kind) and decided to doctor it up and make is special. You guys. This soup turned out AMAZING. I started with the noodles and the broth flavoring and added some broccoli, soy curls, green onion and seaweed. OMG. So damn good you guys. I had this Wednesday night and it was perfect and so filling.

Ok onto Thanksgiving! I managed to take some pictures of most of the vegan stuff as well as my plate.


This is my FAVORITE broccoli corn casserole. It has broccoli, creamed corn, stuffing mix and onion. My mom leaves out the egg and uses Earth Balance so I can eat it and it's so damn delicious. It has been my favorite Thanksgiving dish for as long as I can remember.


Some delicious roasted potatoes (we had mashed potatoes too but I don't like mashed potatoes so I told them not to worry about the butter - they did ask though which was so nice!).


This was my plate! I had some Gardein tenders, roasted potatoes, broccoli corn casserole and brussels sprouts (I didn't get a pic of those in their dish).


I made this apple crisp for dessert and I was so proud of it because I turned a dessert disaster into a dessert win. I found a recipe on Pinterest for apple crumb bars and I could tell as soon as I mixed up the "shortbread" base that it wouldn't work and that the picture was a lie and not what the bars would actually look like (which made me so angry because these ingredients were not cheap and I hate when people misrepresent their recipes with fake images). I refused to waste the ingredients to I made the shortbread base into a crumble topping and added some oats and cinnamon to it. I made a different apple filling from the recipe as well and combined the two and it worked out way better than the bars would have. Everyone loved it and it was delicious. I have some leftovers so I'll photograph it the next time I eat it (and you better believe I'm adding ice cream next time 😂).

That's what I have for you today! I have work today and tomorrow so no long weekend for me but I hope that all of you have a great weekend and I'll see you back here on Tuesday!

13 comments:

Laura said...

Would you be able to provide the recipe for that broccoli casserole? It looks and sounds delicious.

Hillary said...

That's so nice that your family is so thoughtful!! Your plate looks delicious. And the dessert looks and sounds delicious too. I always feel so accomplished when I turn a disaster around!

Sarah said...

Sure! I'll have to get it from my mom and I'll post it on Tuesday!

Sarah said...

Yeah, they are really good about it. Everything was so delicious and I was definitely really proud of that dessert! I was annoyed by the fact that it was clearly a lie but I'm glad I turned it around because I don't like wasting ingredients.

The Student-turned-Doctor said...

Yay! Looking forward to that myself, because I love everything you list there.

Congratulations on your dessert success! I do get frustrated with internet recipes sometimes, especially when they don't turn out anything like what they claim they will. But a shortbread crumble topping sounds amazing and I'm sure it was delicious.

Panty Buns said...

A happy belated vegan Thanksgiving to you as well!
I know.. I too live on Long Island and was and am not ready for the cold weather.
Your Thanksgiving feast looks delicious! I love broccoli, corn, potatoes, and apple deserts... yummy!

https://full-brief-panties.blogspot.com/

Jennifer said...

I hate when people put different photos than the recipe! Or fudge around with it a bunch to make it look pretty. At least it ended up turning out okay!

Sarah said...

I will have the recipe out Friday! Sorry, I forgot to get it from her, this weekend was craziness!

Thank you! I was so frustrated but it worked out for the best because the apple crisp was so much better than those bars would have been!

Sarah said...

Thank you!! It got so cold so quickly! I definitely was not prepared and I'm glad it has warmed up a bit again.

Sarah said...

I was so annoyed when I figured it out but I am really glad that it turned out as well as it did.

J said...

Your udon noodle soup looks amazing, and the broccoli corn casserole sounds so fun; I will definitely have to give that a try! So glad that you had a nice Thanksgiving, and great job being creative with your dessert!

Sarah said...

The udon noodle soup was one of my favorite soups I've ever made. I love udon noodles so much.

Kat E said...

This casserole is so easy and so good! Making it again now that fall is here :) Thanks for the recipe!