Tuesday, March 5, 2019

H-Mart Haul and Stuff I Ate

Hey you guys! I hope that you are all doing well and that you had a good weekend. I'm cold but doing a bit better. It was a really rough week last week but my therapist helped me put it in perspective yesterday (because I had a shitty day yesterday too) and reminded me that there is still plenty of time to turn this week around. So, I plan on doing just this and hoping that the rest of the week will be better. I plan on being more focused on self care (I will be getting my first hair cut in a year this week) and just being kind to myself.

But it wasn't all doom and gloom. I finally made my way over to H-Mart and grabbed a few items to create amazing meals. I keep forgetting how affordable H-Mart is so I think I need to go more often and do more of my shopping there. I made sure to photograph my haul, of course, and a few of the meals I enjoyed over the weekend.


So this is my H-Mart haul! I got all of this for just under $15! That's amazing considering there is 5 servings of udon noodles and a large bag of sliced rice cakes. So I got udon noodles, honey crisp apples, an avocado, a bunch of green onions, two packages of enoki mushrooms, soft tofu and sliced rice cakes.


On Sunday I was really craving a "junky" comfort meal as it was a super lazy day with an impending "snowstorm" (when really it was just kind of dumb and insignificant). I grabbed some of these now vegan Morningstar Farms Chik'n nuggets to try. I am so glad that they've been making more of their products vegan so I can try them! I believe they were on sale too so bonus!


My incredibly beige but delicious meal. I had some nuggets with some tots and an obscene amount of ketchup and it was exactly what I wanted and so damn good.


You guys. This is 100% the best soup I've ever made in my life. Yesterday I did still have to shovel in the morning (it was just not as much as they were anticipating) and had a crappy day so I was craving a warm, comforting bowl of soup. I decided to get into my H-Mart goodies and try to make a cross of some of my pre-vegan favs: Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup and Egg Drop Soup. I was SO HAPPY with how it came out, it was perfect! Of course I didn't measure anything so I don't have a recipe but I'll let you know what I did.

I made the broth from Better than Bouillon No Chicken Base, mushroom seasoning from H-Mart (I got that a while ago) and some garlic powder. This created a light but really flavorful broth. I added some udon noodles, enoki mushrooms, crumbled soft tofu and green onions. I used one brick of udon noodles (I get the frozen ones which cost $2 for 5 servings) and was able to get 2 servings of soup out of it. This is definitely going to be a staple meal, it is so so delicious.

So that's what I have for you today! Did you do anything fun this weekend? I need to live vicariously through you 😂 I'll see you back here on Friday!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay for H mart goodies!! There are definitely some good deals to be found there-have you tried the asian chives before? They’re a big long bunch and look like wide grass blades, but taste like scallions. Great chopped in soups or as a little banchan. Those udon are my favorite! The thick chewy texture is the best and they soak up the flavor of any broth too. You totally made the best soup here!! So perfect for this crapola weather.
It may sound ridiculous and silly but you can make the rest of this week whatever you want it to be! I remember a very specific moment when i was stopping at the store after an extra shitty day at work and this uncharacteristically cheerful chatty check out lady in her 60s easily was telling her coworker she was working a double shift before going to pick up her grandson to watch him while his mom was at work. And she was so goddamned happy about all of it! The sixteen hour work day on her feet dealing with asshole new yorkers, then taking care of her grandson.... it made me really think about my own point of view and realize that she was happy because she *chose* to be happy and i was in a cranky funk because i did that to me.
Epic comment....! Oops!
Anyways, maybe that means something to you too
Ttrockwood

Sarah said...

Ttrockwood: H-Mart is seriously the best! I think I'm going to make that soup again tonight but I'll use the rice cakes instead of the noodles! I am excited about it! Thanks for the tip on the Asian chives, I'll have to give them a try! The Udon noodles are my favorite, they are delicious! And it's not ridiculous at all, I appreciate you sharing that story! It's definitely all about perspective and I'm definitely trying to change mine! <3

Hillary said...

When I go to the Asian market I'm always completely blown away by the amazing prices!
That soup sounds AMAZING!!!! I used to love egg drop soup too so this is very appealing!!
And having the soup with rice cakes sounds incredible too!

Susan said...

That looks like such a great haul! My area has a lot of Asian grocery stores, which is so great. I love all the stuff I can find there!
I worked on Saturday, so hardly exciting stuff. And I can't even remember what I did on Sunday. Ooops. But this weekend coming I am going to be doing some baking for a vegan bake sale.

The Student-turned-Doctor said...

I did not have fun this weekend, exactly, but I did bake a tiny batch of chocolate chip cookies and they were SO GOOD. I will be doing that again.

I love H-Mart! And also I love that Morningstar Farms is catering to vegans more and more. I've got my fingers crossed for corn dogs.

Sarah said...

Vegan Peace: I know, it is so awesome! I am definitely going to be doing my shopping there for a bit as I'm really trying to tighten my budget as much as possible. The soup is perfect and I eat it every day now! The rice cakes are SO GOOD IN IT!!!

Susan: The Asian grocery stores are so awesome, I don't know why I don't go more often! Oooh how fun to bake for a bake sale! What are you making?

Student Turned Doctor: Aww I'm sorry your weekend wasn't great but hooray for chocolate chip cookies! It's the small things that can make all the difference! H-Mart is the best! That is so funny because as soon as I saw the chick'n nuggets my first thought was please let the corn dogs be next!

Jennifer said...

I love enoki mushrooms! They are cook up so quickly and are kind-of noodle like since they are so long

Sarah said...

Jennifer: I know, they are awesome! They are so perfect in this soup. It's a great combination!

J said...

Your nuggets & tots meal looks so good, and the soup sounds absolutely perfect -- I'll have to try it sometime!

Susan said...

I ended up making some cranberry crumble bars, sweet potato cupcakes with maple frosting, and some speculoos baked doughnuts. I love baking for bake sales because it means I get to try all these different recipes, but then I don't end up with a dozen cupcakes that I have to eat. Not that there is anything wrong with that if people want to eat a whole batch, but for me I prefer just one or two. Though the crumble was so good I could have eaten the whole thing!

Sarah said...

Julie: Thanks, everything was so good! Oooh I hope you love the soup if you try it!

Susan: OMG that all sounds amazing! Lucky bake sale shoppers!