Friday, March 1, 2019

Stuff I Ate

Hey everyone! I hope you are all doing well and had a good week. I'm glad that I am close to the weekend, it has been a long and busy week. I don't know if I ever mentioned this but my aunt injured herself again about 2 months ago so this week I took her to another early morning appointment as well as my dad to an early morning pre-op appointment. His procedure was yesterday and he comes home today. Everything is ok it's just been a stressful week. I'm still not feeling great so with all of this going on I don't have a ton to share but I do have some yummy stuff to show you.


A weird but delicious combination of roasted potatoes with ketchup and a sliced Opal apple. I really enjoyed the opal apples! I don't know if I prefer them to honeycrisps but they are delicious and definitely a great option.


A sad picture of a delicious pear.


Coffee has been a saving grace this week. It is cold and I'm tired and I have tried to kick caffeine in the past but sometimes you just need some delicious fully caffeinated coffee. I am now fiercely loyal to Silk Almond creamer (this cup is the Vanilla flavor). It is delicious, gets my coffee light and creamy and easy to find. You can't go wrong with that.


I had this bagel in the freezer so I toasted it (bagels out of the freezer do get toasted, fresh bagels stay fresh) and added some tofutti. Also delicious and by far my favorite comfort meal.


I didn't have the energy or creativity to figure out any sort of lunch for today so I stopped at the store and grabbed a super fresh (made on the spot for me since they didn't have any yet) veggie roll. It looks great and I can't wait to eat it.

*Trigger Warning - I'm going to be discussing Eating Disorders below*

I debated whether or not I was going to talk about this today but I felt at the very least I did need to mention it. This week is National Eating Disorder Awareness Week. The theme for 2019 is "Come As You Are" and stresses the importance of inclusivity when it comes to the discussion of eating disorders. I wanted to bring this up because as I've mentioned before I am in recovery for an eating disorder and also because I believe that eating disorders are incredibly prevalent in the vegan community (particularly in the vegan YouTube community) and it isn't widely acknowledged or recognized. I'm not going to get into details but I did want to share some resources for people that may be struggling and want to get help. I'll talk a lot more in detail about my own eating disorder this Sunday on my other blog. I don't mean to be an alarmist or dramatic but I really do want to stress the importance of getting help if you are struggling with an eating disorder. There will be physical consequences. It's not a matter of if you have physical complications, it is a matter of when the longer your battle goes on. I have physical issues that I will likely deal with for the rest of my life.

Resources (source):





OK sorry about the brief departure but I did find that important to share. That's all I have for today and I hope that you all have a wonderful weekend. I'm looking forward to this weekend as it'll hopefully be another self care weekend. I'm also hoping to check out a Vegetarian/Vegan restaurant that opened recently and head over to H-Mart to get some ingredients for a warm, comforting meal. I'm very excited to share all of this with you next week! Stay warm and I'll see you on Tuesday!





12 comments:

Anonymous said...

the veggie rolls look perfect! i hope you enjoy them. i started reading your other blog and been liking it. i tried to leave a few comments there but it didn't work. anyway, it's an interesting journey you are on :).

Sarah said...

Thank you so much I appreciate that! Haha yes, a very interesting journey indeed. That is really strange about the comments. I just checked my settings again and they are completely open. I allow comments from everyone, including anonymous comments and I do not require moderation. I'll have to follow up and see why there is an issue with commenting, thank you for letting me know! And thank you for reading!

Sarah said...

I looked into it and may have found the problem? I change one setting based on stuff that I've read. Hopefully that works!

Hillary said...

I love opal apples! Potatoes and apple slices sounds like an amazing meal!
I so agree about the vegan YouTube community. It actually scares me. I've even been triggered by some and have had to stop watching because I too struggled for many years with eating disorders and have some permanent issues because of it too.
Thanks for sharing,I always respect and admire your openness!

Jennifer said...

Yes about veganism and eating disorders! There is a link, mostly because I think when people start to go into veganism for health reasons it is easy to fall down a rabbit hole or BAD information. A friend of mine was vegan, but then had to be treated for anorexia. She isn't vegan anymore, and i think that is good thing for her. I think she did for health reasons and got a little orthorexic as a result. And naturally there is a lot of shaming in the vegan community! Yuck.

Unknown said...

I’ll have to try those opal apples, I literally eat an apple a day so i go through a lot of them!
Coffee is essential for me to function as a human ;) and from everything i have read its actually beneficial in moderation. I probably drink more than i used to, but i kicked diet coke years ago now and coffee seems the lesser evil between the two.
Good looking bagel! And seriously fantastic looking sushi, if there was great sushi like that near me i would get it all the time.
Hope all went as well as possible for your dad and he’s on the mend soon.

I love Hmart! Their wall of tofu makes my heart flutter ;)) i always leave with some fun snacks and new condiments- the seaweed snacks are next level there!
Ttrockwood

Sarah said...

Vegan Peace: Opal apples are delicious and that meal was really good! Sometimes the weirdest combos are the most delicious meal. The vegan YouTube community is definitely scary and honestly really sad to me. I think a lot of them don't realize that their eating is disordered, they just think they are sticking to their vegan diet. The obsession is the most alarming part to me. Thank you! <3

Jennifer: There is definitely a link. I'm sorry that your friend was struggling so much. I am a recovering bulimic and and I believe I was orthorexic for a while too. I think a lot of it comes from the pressure of the vegan police and feeling the need to be a perfect vegan. It's really sad and it is a bad look for the community.

Ttrockwood: The opal apples are good and less expensive that honey crisps. I love coffee so much so I definitely don't deprive myself but I try to stick to decaf when I can. The bagel was delicious and the sushi was so fresh and amazing! It is a great deal for $6.49 so it's a perfect treat for a day when I just don't feel like meal prepping. Thanks so much for the well wishes! I can't wait to get to H-Mart and share the haul!

Anonymous said...

Can they ever really go away? It’s been more than 10 years and all it does is cycle between anorexia and bulimia. It doesn’t ever end no matter how many recovery programs I’ve tried. I can’t keep living like this. It’s too much.

Sarah said...

Anonymous: Something that I have learned through my recovery process (which I'm still knee deep in) is that the physical recovery can happen more quickly than the emotional recovery. I no longer engage in my eating disorder behaviors but I have the desire to all the time. You are strong enough to do this, I think it is a matter of treating the root of the problem along with the eating disorder. Something that has been helpful for me is journaling. Try journaling at every meal, identify your emotions (rate them from 1-10 each time you eat) and write a little about what you feel and what you are thinking (maybe start with before and after each meal... it may be incredibly helpful). Hopefully this can help you identify the underlying issues and I would highly recommend therapy if it is an option for you. It has been life changing for me.

The Student-turned-Doctor said...

Ooh, a yellow apple! I'd want to try it just for the color. (I get sucked in too easily with that sort of thing.) Why do we have so few yellow apple varieties, anyway? Hmm.

I'm glad you've been able to get help for disordered eating. I've never had a full-blown eating disorder but like most people in developed countries I have had unhealthy relationships with food at times. Some of the vegan YouTubers really are alarming. They add so many restrictions to what they eat. It's really sad.

Susan said...

Sounds like a stressful week, it is good you were able to find simple and comforting meals. The sushi looks so beautiful and fresh.

I have never had an ED, but definitely have had disordered eating. I am in a place now of trying to find some peace with my body and my food.

Sarah said...

Student Turned Doctor: If you can find these opal apples definitely give them a try! They are delicious and they don't brown (supposedly - I didn't really let mine sit long enough). They are crisp and sweet and delicious. Thank you. It's hard to have a healthy relationship with food and yeah, the restrictions are definitely alarming. No salt, no oil, no sugar. It's such a restrictive life.

Susan: Thank you! The sushi was wonderful. It's so hard to find balance and to gain that healthy relationship but I know you'll get there <3