Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Haul, Prep and Pizza Nachos!

Hey everyone! I hope that you are all well and that you had a great weekend. Mine was good but of course went way too quickly. I'm still feeling a little blah but I decided that prepping some food for the week may help me with my decision making. Of course my soup will continue to be a staple because it is quick and easy. I did my weekly grocery shopping at H-Mart and made sure to take a picture of the haul. I'm still completely blown away by the prices.


This is my H-Mart haul! I got some carrots (you guys, those were the SMALLEST carrots they had!), two bunches of swiss chard, enoki mushrooms, three Japanese sweet potatoes, three pears, an avocado and some soft tofu. All of this stuff cost me $14! What?!


I decided to prep my produce for the week to make it as easy as possible for myself. I baked up all of my potatoes so I can grab one for dinner after work or for a quick breakfast (thanks Ttrockwood for the nut butter suggestion, that sounds amazing!!).


This is only 1 bunch of the swiss chard. I don't want to get into details about what was going on with the second but I can assure you it was disgusting and makes me weary to eat this to be honest. I prepared it in my favorite way: using Kris Carr's recipe from Crazy Sexy Kitchen. It has onion, garlic, tamari and nooch. It's really delicious.


I cut up my carrots and put them in a container with water so I can grab and go. You can tell by the horrendous cuts that I had a hard time… the same issue I had with the potatoes. I tried to find the smallest carrots they had but they were still too big. It makes me even more happy that I got it done in advance.


Finally, here is a fun meal! I wasn't starving but wanted something fun so I decided to make pizza nachos! These are very basic with just sauce and cheese (I didn't have toppings or fresh basil) but it was still really good! It was definitely a fun meal!

So that is what I have for you today! I'll be back on Friday to share some delicious meals I've been eating. I hope you all have a great week! <3

10 comments:

Panty Buns said...

That vegetarian food haul looks extremely healthful and what you prepared looks soooo delicious!!!!!! Yummy!

Hillary said...

Amazing cost for that haul!! I'm so curious and scared but mostly dying to know about the second bunch of chard!!
Pizza nachos sound delicious, and to be honest that sounds like a better way to get in those pizza flavors than most gluten free pizza crusts!

Unknown said...

Yay for H mart prices! That’s kinda crazy the carrots were so jumbo, probably a good idea go forward to get snackable veggies you don’t have to chop like cherry tomatoes and baby carrots- oh, and sugar snap peas are one of my favorites.
Hope the meal prepping makes life easier this week and you enjoy those great sweet potatoes :)
Ttrockwood

The Student-turned-Doctor said...

It looks like you have some of your appetite back! So glad you enjoyed your nachos!

Yes, food prep helps a lot. I never get everything done I want to get done, but whatever I can do for myself over the weekend is so nice for smoothing out my week.

Sorry about the swiss chard. I bought a bunch of watercress once that made me wary of all future watercress, because it turned out to have tiny snails clinging to every leaf. I didn't want to waste it or kill the snails so I ended up spending an inordinate amount of time collecting snails and cleaning up after snails. Even though that only happened once and never again, it kind of turned me off watercress. I'm not going to describe the cleaning up after snails process. But whatever happened to your chard, you have my sympathies.

Sarah said...

Panty Buns: Thank you!

Vegan Peace: Right?! I swear H-Mart is amazing but I do miss my Trader Joe's. I may be paying a visit this weekend ;) The second bunch was soooooooo gross. Yes!! You should give pizza nachos a try, they are delicious. I definitely recommend adding toppings to it, I just didn't have time or patience, ha!

Ttrockwood: Right?! The prices there are incredible. I agree, I'll have to get more bite sized produce to make it easier. It sucks because I think whole carrots taste best but I have to work with what I've got. Thank you!!

Studen-Turned-Doctor: Yeah, I've also just been less lazy, ha! The food prep is definitely helping me, I'm going to have to plan some more easy things to prep this weekend to make it easier for me during the week. Yeah, I didn't have snails and what was clinging to a lot of the leaves was definitely no longer with us. I still gag thinking about it and I just don't think I'll be able to eat the other greens because I'm just so grossed out by it. I can't even imagine the cleaning up process but it was certainly kind of you to make sure they were safe.

Belle said...

Cut the carrots the other way, into rounds. Much more natural! Easier on the wrists too.

Sarah said...

Belle: That is such a great idea! Thank you!!

J said...

Awesome job with the food prep! I'm glad at least one of the Swiss chard bunches worked out for you; it sounds like a great recipe! And those pizza nachos look super fun!

Unknown said...

If you go to TJs they have baby whole carrots! They’re usually rainbow colors and a bit more expensive but small enough you wouldn’t have to chop them at all. I got the tiny potatoes from TJs last week and just had them steamed with earth balance and cilantro- so good!!
Ttrockwood

Susan said...

An excellent haul! Though sad about the silverbeet.
Food prep is definitely a good idea. Especially with the baked potatoes! I need to start doing that, because often I feel like one but don't have an hour to sit around waiting for them to bake.