Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Random Stuff before MoFo!

Hey everyone! I hope that all is well and that you all had a wonderful weekend! Mine was pretty rough but I'll get into all of that later on. This post is a random mix of things so I can get ready for MoFo! I can't believe it's already here, I feel like it just snuck up on me! I forgot how intense daily blogging can be (which is why I'm taking weekends off) and I've been tying really hard to get ahead of everything so I can stay on track through the whole month. Anyway, let's catch up on the last few days!


Of course we had a lazy breakfast bagel, ha! This time I went for plain and of course there is entirely too much tofu spread but I guess better to have too much than too little (they charge A LOT for this so I am happy to remove some and use it later, ha!). Super good, as always.

On Sunday I attended a party for my Sister in Law. She and my brother are celebrating their 10 year wedding anniversary this year (in August) and we were also celebrating the fact that she finished her chemo treatments which she responded to well. I know I alluded to it here but never gave specifics but that is something else that has been going on behind the scenes here. I have to say she is such an inspiring woman. She has handled it with such grace and bravery. She always has a smile on her face and always sees positivity and light. She is a genuinely good soul and I'm so lucky that she is family and so grateful that she is doing well. Her surgery is tomorrow so the next phase will begin then. It was really nice to celebrate her though.


My brother made sure that I had some delicious vegan food to eat and I got this special grilled veggie plate that was delicious! I really enjoyed it, especially because A) I'm not going to grill veggies myself (someone will always do it for me 😂) and B) I needed some fresh veggies in my life. It was delicious and I'm lucky to have a brother that is supportive and always makes sure I'm taken care of.


Can we talk about this view?! The party was on a hotel rooftop in Long Island City and the view was stunning. It was a beautiful day but it was pretty damn hot. I do love this view though.

The day was really nice as we got to celebrate my sister in law and her and my brother's relationship but it was also a little bit difficult for me. It made me miss Doug a lot. He should have been there with me and I should have been introducing him to people rather than receiving condolences. It was also a reminder that I don't get these relationship milestones, moments and memories with him and it is still really difficult for me to process and accept that. It feels really self absorbed to feel that way but it's just the way I feel. I've really been missing him so it's been a little bit of a struggle.


On to some happier stuff, I have wanted to build a little bit of a stamp collection to use for my art pieces and once I saw the Visible Image stamps I knew I needed to start building a collection. They are a bit pricey but they were having a summer sale so I decided to do the impossible and pick out 2 sets to purchase to start my collection. I knew I needed the Glimmer of Light set (that is the one I saw first and brought me over to their website) but selecting the second set was nearly impossible. I decided on the Wings of Change set and I love it and I'm so excited to use them! I'm also excited for the next sale so I can purchase some more! 


I also wanted to bump up my collection of metal pieces, gears and cogs and other pretty embellishments so I went to Amazon and purchased a few inexpensive lots to build my collection. I'm really happy with what I selected and do you see those skeleton hands in the bag furthest left (of the metal pieces)?! I AM OBSESSED and I can't wait to figure out a way to use them! I also got some pearly looking dots to use as embellishments and ink to use for my stamps.

So that's what I have to share with you today! I will be back on Thursday to start off MoFo! I hope you all have a great few days and I'll see you back here soon 💚

9 comments:

Bianca said...

That bagel looks so perfect. You know I always envy your bagels!! And glad to hear your sister-in-law is doing better. Hang in there! :-)

Susan said...

I'm so glad to hear that your sister-in-law has been doing better, and that you got to spend some nice time with family. Things are often so bittersweet with grief, you are happy for other people while at the same time feeling the pain of loss yourself, which is a strange dichotomy. But it is OK to mourn. <3
I look forward to seeing your MoFo stuff, I can't believe it starts tomorrow! Or at least, it does for me in Australia. We are a day ahead!

The Student-turned-Doctor said...

What a gorgeous veggie plate! This really has been a long year. I sometimes think about milestones that will never happen, too, and I don't have anything wise to say about it, but I'm glad there are people around you who are kind and want to take care of you well.

Sarah said...

Bianca: Thank you <3 Her surgery was a success so that is great news!

Susan: Thank you, it was really nice. It is definitely bittersweet and there are days where it is really really hard. Thanks! I'm excited for MoFo posting! I hope that it reinvigorates me and gets the creativity flowing! I'm looking forward to your posts as well!

The Student-turned-Doctor: The veggie plate was amazing! It has been a long day as well and it's so hard to think of those milestones. I hope that you have people around you as well <3 Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Anonymous said...

I can’t remember who said this to me, but your feelings are your feelings and if you are sad/mad/bad it is ok. It isn’t fair or right that people suffer this much. Missed milestones to glimmers of light that seems so you to me and one of these days I hope I can find hope again. My best to you, your sister-in-law, and your family in these difficult times. I really wish there was something I could do to help.

Nicole said...

Ooo I am originally from Long Island! I live very far away, visit my parents very occasionally. I'll be following your blog closely out of curiosity to see new Long Island vegan finds! It was not so vegan-friendly when I moved away!

Hillary said...

I'm glad your sister in law is doing better!
That view is really, really beautiful!!

Sarah said...

Anonymous: Thank you for sharing that, it is so true. Our feelings are our feelings and that's ok. I hope and pray that you find your hope again. You deserve a happy and fulfilling life. I'm rooting for you with all of my heart. Thank you so much for the well wishes and please don't hesitate to reach out to me if you'd like. longislandnerd @ gmail dot com (in regular e-mail format, I'm just trying to avoid spam, ha!).

Nicole: Ahhhh, how awesome!!! You will be so happy the next time you come back, it has gotten SO vegan friendly! There are so many amazing places with vegan options and with full vegan menus! I have barely scratched the surface and I'm looking forward to trying more! I can try to give you some suggestions if you ever need them :) Thanks for stopping in!

Hillary: Thank you so much, her surgery was successful and she is doing really great <3 Isn't it stunning?!

J said...

That's so great that your brother made sure you were taken care of with a grilled veggie plate! That view is seriously incredible! Your stamps sound fun, too!