Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Aldi Haul & Stuff I Ate

Hey everyone, I hope you are all well 💚 I'm happy to say that we did get to Aldi this weekend and I have a haul to share with you. I went in with the goal of kind of stocking up on some stuff that is a great deal there and I think I did well with that. I found some fun stuff and now the freezer is packed and it's nice to have some things to fall back on when I'm not feeling like cooking or doing anything. I also finally worked on decluttering and cleaning out my living space. I still have a lot of work left to do but it feels great to have a lot of it behind me. Tonight is the first memorial for Doug so I'm working through a lot of emotions right now and I have a lot of anxiety about it as well. I know it will be fine and I'll meet a lot of great people but it's one of those things where I just don't know what the vibe is going to be and I'm just hoping that I'll be able to keep it together better than I did at the funeral.

Anyway, let's check out the Aldi haul as well as a few things I've been eating.


These are some grocery items that I grabbed because they were a good price. I love those veggie chips and they are a great price at Aldi so I grabbed a bag. I got two flavors of triscuits to have with hummus, green pea crisps, roasted garlic bagel chips and a beautiful loaf of sourdough.


The stuff I really stocked up on is the vegan chick'n patties. These are my favorite meat substitute and since I don't get to Aldi often at all I grabbed 3 boxes 😳 I got one box of the soy protein burgers because I thought they would be like boca burgers? I don't know but those are always good to have on hand in case I go to a BBQ. I got some beautiful strawberries, a container of cream cheese, brownie batter hummus (!), an avocado, sliced mushrooms and curly fries (because why not!).

So that is my haul. I got some pretty good stuff and am glad I was able to stock up on the more budget friendly easy meals that I can grab when I'm just not feeling like cooking. It was also nice to just get out with my mom and take the ride out there.


This meal was so damn good you guys. I made a flatbread wrap with hummus and grilled veggies (mushrooms, zucchini and onion) and had some "steak fries" on the side. The fries were actually really thin and most of the pile ended up getting thrown out because they were little burned pieces. They look normal in the pic but they were definitely not normal steak cut fries.


Another version of this meal. More grilled veggies, hummus and flatbread with some dolmas. So good.


Honestly I just took a picture of this peach to show you my amazing nail polish 😂 I am a huge fan of Zoya because they are vegan and 5 Free. They are pricey but I tend to purchase mine on Black Friday when they are on deep discount. This is one of their Pixie Dust shades with is glittery and textured and it is stunning and holographic and everything I need in my life right now. The Pixie Dust shades are a bitch to take off but so worth it. I need to get the black one for sure.

I have a random question for you guys. MoFo is in August this year and I would really like to participate but I'm having a hard time picking a theme! Is there anything that I do on here that you would like me to focus on? Is there anything that you think I should explore further? I saw their prompts and while they seem fun it feels unrealistic for me to be able to create all of those meals and recipes while on a budget and working full time. I'm definitely open to ideas if you have any!

So that is what I have for you today. I'll be back on Friday with more vegan deliciousness and hopefully I'll have some 4th of July eats to share. I don't know what I'm doing yet, if anything. Do you guys have plans? Let me know.

I hope you all have a great week. I'll see you Friday 💚

7 comments:

Hillary said...

I can't believe how vegan friendly Aldi has gotten now that I don't live near one!!
Your flatbread wrap looks so incredible! And the bread looks so fluffy, gluten free bread is never fluffy, le sigh!!
I'm sending you a big interwebz hug to help you when you go to the memorial. I know it's going to be so difficult, but you'll be glad you did.
Decluttering always feels so nice doesn't it?

Bianca said...

Oh wow! I have an Aldi not that far from me (closer than Trader Joe's!), and I had no idea how much vegan stuff they had! Vegan cream cheese???? WOW! I'm definitely gonna have to go soon!

Also, PS: I haven't shipped your cookbook yet because I AM TERRIBLE! But I'm hoping to do so on Friday when I'm off work (getting to the post office during their open hours has been the issue). SO SORRY!!

Anonymous said...

OMG...the brownie hummus, let's just say that's not allowed in my house anymore! SO GOOD!

J said...

Awesome Aldi haul! Your flatbread wrap looks so good! And yay for peaches and glittery nail polish, haha! Budget meals would be a good theme for MoFo, ooh, maybe food inspired by art -- or art of food?
I hope the memorial went well <3

Susan said...

Brownie Batter Hummus??? Please report back when you tried it! I am intrigued!
I am doing MoFo this year, but not following the prompts. I did the prompts for a couple of years but honestly it is a lot of work and these days I just want to keep things simple. So I will be doing an A-Z of Mofo, and that will let me use a lot of stuff I already have waiting to post. So I think just do whatever is most fun and least stressful for you.
I hope the memorial was OK. <3

Sarah said...

Hillary: It is pretty amazing how much vegan stuff Aldi has and the quality is quite good, especially for the price. I'm glad I was able to stock up. Thank you, the wrap was DELICIOUS! I love roasted veggies with hummus. And thank you, I'm definitely glad that I went… not going wasn't an option but it is also helping me to face my social anxiety and also helped with the grieving to meet more of the people in his life.

Bianca: Definitely give Aldi a try, they have some great stuff! The vegan cream cheese is basically exactly like Tofutti but is a better price. And no worries at all!! I really appreciate that you are sending it!

Anonymous: OMG I know why! It's sooooooo good! Have you tried the vanilla one? I should have gotten both, ha!

Julie: Thanks! The wrap was awesome and I freaking love glitter everything. Oooh interesting, I should totally try to incorporate art into MoFo. Thank you, it did… well as well as a memorial can go I suppose.

Susan: The hummus was absolutely delicious! I know there are recipes online if you wanted to try it, you can make it yourself! I have to agree about the prompts, they look like A LOT OF WORK to do those daily. That's a really cool theme, I'll have to keep thinking about what I'd like to do. And thank you <3

The Student-turned-Doctor said...

I couldn't possibly do the themes, so I'm planning on basically doing what I usually do with some extra weekend posts and the occasional response to their prompts. But you were working on a cookbook a while ago--any chance you could work that into your blogging?

Both the peach and your nail polish look great!