Monday, August 19, 2019

Vegan MoFo 2019: Little Fu's in Hewlett, NY


When I first planned out my themes for Vegan MoFo, I never expected the Long Island Vegan Restaurant (and restaurants with lots of vegan options) theme to get so many posts. As you know I'm not typically a social person but ever since I met Doug and ever since he passed I've been so much more social and enjoying the people in my life as much as I can. I also made it a goal to try all of the places that I've wanted to try for so long and I'm really glad that I have. 

The first place I tried after he passed is a place called Little Fu's and it is located in Hewlett, NY. It is a Chinese Restaurant with a whole section of Vegetarian/Vegan options on their menu, including lots of mock meat options. I knew as soon as I saw the menu I would go there and I would keep going there so I could try all of the amazing looking vegan versions of dishes I used to eat.


The first time I went was with one of my closest friends. We have been friends for 20 years and I love her and I'm so grateful that she is in my life. After Doug passed she happened to be in town and made sure to see me. We went to Little Fu's in his honor and we dined on delicious food and talked about him and I was able to "introduce" him to her in the only way I can now. The meal I chose to try that night was the Sesame Chick'n and OMG you guys. It was freaking delicious. The plate even looks awesome. The portion was huge, the price was decent and it was a very delicious plate of food. I was definitely looking forward to going back!


The next time I went I was with a new friend of mine that I met because of a common love of true crime podcasts and veg food (she is vegetarian). Little Fu's happens to be one of her family's favorite restaurants so we knew we had to go there. I decided to try the Inari roll to start because they are my FAVORITE and I seriously can't find them anywhere. The last time I had them was probably 10 years ago or something ridiculous like that. Anyway, the one piece was $3.00 which was kind of expensive, considering it was a pretty sad Inari roll. The tofu skin had nice flavor but it barely had any rice in it. I used to pay maybe $6.00 to get at least 4 pieces that would be stuffed with fresh, delicious sticky rice. This had minimal rice that wasn't the yummy sticky sushi rice I'm used to. It wasn't bad but it definitely wasn't worth the $3.00. I am glad that I tried it though because it satisfied my curiosity and my craving.


For my entree I went with the Chick'n with Broccoli and it was delicious! It was way more savory than the Sesame Chick'n and a little bit on the salty side but it was great. I love the texture of their mock chicken and the broccoli was cooked really nicely. I love broccoli from Chinese restaurants, it's always cooked perfectly and tastes even better with whatever delicious sauce it is drenched in.


This has nothing to do with Little Fu's but the night I went the second time was so beautiful. There was nice breeze and it was just a lovely evening with a great new friend. When I got home and looked up I saw this view of the moon through the clouds and trees and thought it was beautiful so I wanted to share it with you.

So for Little Fu's I give it two enthusiastic thumbs up (reference anyone?). If you are looking for yummy Chinese food done the vegan way I highly recommend trying it. I will absolutely go back and I'm looking forward to sharing all of the delicious dishes I try with you. I am definitely someone who sticks to a dish when I find something I love (Sesame Chick'n I'm looking at you) but I definitely know that I will be trying as many dishes as I can from this restaurant. If you are on Long Island let me know if you've tried Little Fu's and what your favorite dishes are there! 💚


6 comments:

J said...

The sesame chicken looks so good! Chicken with broccoli used to be my favorite Chinese dish to order, so I would love to try this vegan version! Little Fu's sounds like such a nice restaurant; that's awesome that you've already visited it twice with friends!

The Student-turned-Doctor said...

Everything looks amazing. I loved sesame chicken once upon a time, drawn in by its sweetness. Now I want to veganize sesame chicken.

Susan said...

Another amazing restaurant! I wish we had more places like this here. We used to have several, but then quite a few closed. It makes me sad. That broccoli chicken looks perfect.
I love inari, and practically thankfully every sushi place here makes inari that is vegan by default, so I can get it very easily.
I love Clueless. :D

Hillary said...

I am not the biggest broccoli fan, it has to be cooked just right. I so agree with you that most Chinese restaurants get it perfect!!! I've tried to mimic it with no success!!!
I used to be able to find inari in Seattle. It seemed any grocery that carried ready made sushi had inari rolls, but I haven't seen them anywhere here.
I can't wait to see the rest of the menu!!!

Sarah said...

Julie: The sesame chick'n was AMAZING! I thin you would love this restaurant, it's delicious! I can't wait to go back!

The Student-Turned-Doctor: Yes! The sweetness was a really nice element to the sesame chicken. I loved it. You totally should!

Susan: That's so sad that they closed! I can't believe it has taken me so long to start getting out and going to these places but I'm so glad I've been able to and that I can share it with you! Yay for easy access to Inari! And yes, Clueless!!!!

Hillary: They really do cook it perfectly!! I don't know how they do it, I wish I did! Inari is so good but so hard to find here too and that surprises me! I can't wait to try it and share it!

Jennifer said...

I should totally pick up some inari next time I go to wegmans! They have 4 pieces for $5, so yeah, I would say $3 for one is too much.