Friday, August 16, 2019

Vegan MoFo 2019: Zen Garden in Great Neck, NY


Hi everyone! I hope you are all doing well! For today's post I have another Long Island restaurant that I wanted to share with you, Zen Garden in Great Neck, NY. This one is incredibly special to me as I shared an amazing meal with Doug there. I have shared these meals with you before but this restaurant means so much to me that I figured a full round up MoFo post would be a great way to pay tribute to Doug and a really amazing experience that we had together. For anyone that is just joining me here now, Doug and I were dating/together (we never made it publicly official but we were essentially together) who tragically passed away in the beginning of June. 

I'll include wrap up thoughts at the end of the post but I will start off by saying that Zen Garden is fully Vegetarian and mostly Vegan. You'll notice on the menu that everything is clearly labeled and they are happy to answer your questions for you. They also just started serving brunch which is really exciting!


The first time I went I was there for lunch with a great friend of mine. I ordered off of the prix fixed lunch menu and it came with your choice of soup. I almost chose the hot and sour but went with the wonton soup and it was really delicious! It was nice and light and it was a great way to start off the meal.


For my entree I chose the Eggplant with "Chicken" in Garlic Sauce and subbed out the bell peppers for broccoli. It was DELICOUS!!! It came with rice and I chose white rice. The veggies were cooked perfectly, the soy chicken had a really great texture and the sauce was exactly what I was hoping for in a garlic sauce. It wasn't super spicy but it had enough of a kick that it was satisfying the spicy craving. This was an excellent choice and I highly recommend it.

The next time I went to Zen Garden was when I went with Doug. Since he like taking pictures of his food as well I actually have everything from that night photographed. These are actually all his photos because I forgot my phone in the car and he sent all of them over to me later so I can share quite a few dishes with you.


This appetizer was the cedar shoots pancake. I didn't try it but it looked great and he really enjoyed it!


He ordered the Crispy Walnut Shrimp and he really enjoyed it. It looks amazing but I have my mayo aversion so I just didn't want to deal with the sauce. It did look great and I would definitely try it without the sauce. He did say he wished there were more walnuts though.



For my entree I had the General Tso's Tofu with Eggplant which was on the specials list that night. As you can see, the portion was huge and oh my goodness was it delicious! The texture of the tofu and eggplant was absolutely perfect. I love that it comes with broccoli as well, as most dishes do. I was really happy with my choice.


We decided to go for a dessert once they told us that they are made in house and that the owners also own a bakery. How can you not go for dessert?! We split a piece of the red velvet cake because it had been so long since we've had red velvet. You guys. This cake was incredible. We were both in shock by how delicious it was! I highly recommend splurging on dessert and if you are a red velvet fan, definitely go for this cake!

Overall, I LOVE Zen Garden. I haven't been able to go back since he passed because there is still a huge emotional heaviness connected to it. I know I'll get back there again and enjoy an incredible meal in his honor but I'm just not there yet. With that said, I HIGHLY recommend this restaurant. The portions are great (my dinner entree lasted me three meals and he had leftovers as well!) and the food is really high quality. The decor is gorgeous and it truly does have a zen vibe. One thing I will note is that it is a slow service type of place. Our dinner took about 2-2.5 hours. We were fine with it because we were having a great time but just be aware that it make take a while.

I hope that if you are on Long Island or close to it that you'll try out Zen Garden. It is a really beautiful restaurant with delicious food and for me, it holds memories that I will hold on to forever.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this. I think this must have been very difficult to write. I’m so sorry for your loss and my sincerest condolences.
💙

J said...

Zen Garden sounds amazing, and the General Tso's tofu dish looks so good! I'm glad that you got to share such a lovely meal there with Doug <3

Hillary said...

First of all, everything looks amazing!! Won ton soup used to be a favorite of mine!! I always feel like restaurants know how to make eggplant. Mine is never as good, not even close!!
I'm glad you got to have such a special night at such a great place!!!

Susan said...

All the food looks amazing, it is the sort of place I would love.
I understand about needing to stay away for a while. <3

Sarah said...

Anonymous: Thank you so much <3 It was difficult to write but also really nice to share a special memory that I have with him.

Julie: It is such a great restaurant, I will definitely be back when I am ready! The General Tso's tofu was DELICIOUS!

Hillary: The food there is incredible! I love wonton soup too, it was so nice to be able to enjoy it! I can't make eggplant like that either, ha! Thank you <3

Susan: You would definitely love this place! <3

The Student-turned-Doctor said...

If eggplant is cooked right it's pretty much the best vegetable of all, but if not, it's so sad. It's great they got it right! I do not share your aversion to mayo, as you know, so that looks great to me, too.

Thanks for letting us connect to Doug a bit in this post. It's good to see you finding your way again--and even though it may not feel that way to you sometimes, probably, it really does look like you are from this vantage point.

Sarah said...

The Student-turned-Doctor: I agree, if it is cooked correctly it is freaking amazing! The dish was so delicious and you would have loved the shrimp dish, I'm sure! And thank you so much for that <3 I've been told that I light up when I talk about him and I really love sharing him with the people in my life that never had a chance to meet him. He was such a special person and I really love to share that. And thank you, I do feel like I'm finding my way. I've been going through a lot of change lately, as you'll soon see ;)

Jennifer said...

SO MUCH FROSTING ON THAT CAKE! haha It makes me feel like I've been stingy with my cakes lol

I love general tso tofu, and they look like they do a good job with the tofu. A lot places somehow make the tofu really puffy.