Friday, August 9, 2019

Vegan Mofo 2019: The Purple Elephant in Northport, NY



Hello again friends 💚 Another day, another MoFo post! Today's post is really special because I was finally able to get to a restaurant I've been wanting to go to for a long time! It's called The Purple Elephant and it is located in Northport, NY. A friend that I made through Doug and I made some last minute plans to grab some dinner after work one night and I was so happy that we were able to make it happen. It worked out perfectly and we enjoyed a lovely meal together.

I really love the vibe of this place. It is Costa Rican inspired with a small, but cozy indoor seating area as well as a back patio overlooking the water. We were seated inside but I'd love to go back and sit outside so I can enjoy that view. The menu is not strictly vegan but their vegan menu is quite expansive. It made it really hard to choose but that just means I'll have to go back and try more! One thing I will say is that it can be incredibly difficult to get a table so if you are in the area and plan on going definitely make a reservation ahead of time. We were lucky to get a table on a Thursday night!

So, let's check out the food!


When a menu has vegan french onion soup you go for the french onion soup. This soup was ok. I wish it was more bready and cheesy and I am pretty sure they left in pieces of bay leaf which were unpleasant to stumble upon. Otherwise it did have nice flavor. I probably wouldn't order it again but I'm definitely glad I tried it.


When I was looking at the specials menu and saw "Sarah's Summer Salad" and then saw that it had watermelon I knew that I had to go for it!


The salad was fresh and beautiful and delicious. It was a great choice, especially because it was a hot day. I would love to go back and try some more of their "heavier" options when it isn't quite so hot but this salad was definitely delicious.


My friend graciously let me take a picture of her meal as well and how good does this look?! This is the buffalo cauliflower salad and it looked amazing. I'm not a huge fan of buffalo sauce but she enjoyed it and said that there was quite a kick!

Overall, I really enjoyed my experience at The Purple Elephant and would definitely love to go back, sit outside and try out some more delicious items on their menu. One thing I will say is that it is quite pricey so I don't see myself going here often, more as a special occasion kind of place. I do recommend giving it a try though, and let me know what I should get the next time I go! 😉

9 comments:

Hillary said...

Yum, I would definitely have to go with vegan French onion soup too!! Too bad it wasn't amazing!
That salad sounds like they made it for you. I love salads with lots of stuff in it, although I haven't experimented too much with fruit in my salads.
It sounds like a really nice evening, and it sounds like it was definitely a special occasion!

Anonymous said...

Loving the daily posts! Don’t worry I won’t get used to them because I can’t even imagine how tiring it must be.
But I’m really grateful to read them.
Thank you so much.
So glad you had a nice evening!!
����

J said...

Too bad the vegan french onion soup was just ok, but it's good that you tried it! The chili fries and nachos sound great, but I think you made the right call going with the salad with your name on it!

The Student-turned-Doctor said...

I didn't even think one used bay leaves in French onion soup, so that really would be jarring! And yet you're right: I would probably still order it anyway, because FRENCH ONION SOUP.

How neat that you have an eponymous salad!

Sarah said...

Hillary: When you see French onion soup you go for it! The salad was so made for me, you know how much I love my watermelon! It was delicious, I really want to try recreating it at some point! It was a beautiful evening and I'm so glad we were able to meet up.

Anonyous: Thank you!! It's definitely a lot to keep up with, even with my 5 posts per week rather than 7 but it is forcing me to be more creative and think of different content to share. I'm really enjoying it and definitely hope to increase to at least 3 posts per week after MoFo! Thank you so much for your kindness and I'm glad you are enjoying the posts! <3

Julie: I'm glad I tried it! I was debating those nachos, they sounded amazing! They have a lot of great stuff on the menu, I definitely need to go back and try other things!

The Student-turned-Doctor: It's absolutely possible that it was not a bay leaf because I've never put one in my mouth and I don't really use them but it was a leaf that was tough and I couldn't chew so I kind of assumed! It did have a good flavor but it just wasn't as great as I wanted it to be! It was so cool that they had that salad, especially because it had watermelon in it and you know how I feel about watermelon!

Anonymous said...

It is a lot!! Please don’t tire yourself out and I hope you are enjoying posting.
💙💙

Susan said...

I never see French Onion Soup on any menus here, I would love it if some places offered it. This place sounds fun, and that salad you had was just perfect. How could you not get that, it was named just for you!

Sarah said...

Anonymous: So far it has been ok and I've been having a lot of fun with it!! Thanks! <3

Susan: It was very cool to see the soup on the menu! I took the fact that it was named Sarah's Summer Salad as a sign that it was my obvious choice! Ha!

Jennifer said...

I looked at the website- the place looks so fun! It is great when you can eat outside AND get a great view.