Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Vegan MoFo 2019: Aldi Haul!


Hi everyone! I hope you are all doing well today! I'm really excited for today's post: an Aldi haul! I recently discovered how glorious Aldi is and how vegan friendly they are so I try to get over there once a month to see what kinds of new fun vegan products they have. I also love that I can get some products for a much better price there than at a grocery store so I try to load up when I go. 

There were a few new products that I heard about before this trip that I was excited to look for but sadly they didn't have anything. The two things at the top of my list were their ice cream and the ravioli but sadly I missed out on both. From what I understand, Aldi stocks up just once on new products so if you don't get there in time you are SOL. I didn't get there quite fast enough for some of these products 😩

I did get a lot of really great stuff though! Let's get into the haul!!


For produce I got a head of cauliflower, the Asian Chopped Salad mix, spinach, baby carrots, tomatoes, portabella caps and asparagus.


For grocery items I got a loaf of sourdough (so good!), a bag of my favorite veggie chips (this was $1.79 or something when these can go for almost $4 in a regular grocery store), croutons (I don't use them often but vegan ones are hard to find so I grab them when I can!), some fudge mint cookies (this brand has a lot of vegan options, check the labels! This one is like a thin mint!), and Green Pea Crisps.


For refrigerator and freezer stuff I got 3 boxes of the chickenless patties ($3.49 is a great price for these so I stock up!), vanilla bean hummus (I tried the chocolate before, time to try the vanilla), roasted garlic hummus, vegan cream cheese and RANCH HUMMUS!!! I heard the ranch hummus was back and I didn't get to try it last time and I got the last one! I'm so excited to try it!!


I did not buy these but thought it was worth noting that they had vegan gummy candy there. They have the fruit chews, cinnamon bears and also swedish fish type gummies. They are $1.49 per package which is a really great price.


Another thing I noticed and wanted to share (but did not buy) was that they have Bagel Seasoning! I don't know how much it is but if you happen to be near and Aldi and don't have a Trader Joe's nearby you can still get your bagel seasoning!

So while I didn't get my ice cream or ravioli I still managed to get a lot of really great items! I think Aldi is a great place to go on a budget. Sure, some of the items can still be pricey but if you pay attention to the sales it can be a great option. Additionally, if you enjoy a convenience item in your life they have really great products at good prices. The chickenless patties I get are like the Gardein Turk'y Cutlets in my opinion but for $2 less. If you check the produce picks you can get some produce for a great price. They have TONS of different veggie burgers and they also had Buffalo and BBQ chickenless patty options as well. 

I will do a post later on during MoFo where I do a taste test of some of the new to me products for you. Stay tuned for that!

I hope you all have a wonderful day! I'll be back tomorrow with another post 💚






8 comments:

The Student-turned-Doctor said...

Such a bummer about the ravioli and ice cream! But ranch hummus sounds really good. I had some a long while ago before I started defaulting to making my own hummus and loved it--but I'll bet I could make ranch hummus, maybe, if I put my mind to it. Hmm.

Bianca said...

OMG, I've got to get to ALDI! It's much closer to me than the TJ's, but it's still about 20 minutes away (and in a neighborhood I rarely pass through) so I haven't been in soooo long. Thanks for the inspiration. Must try that ranch hummus!

Sarah said...

The Student-turned-Doctor: I know, I was so sad that they didn't have it but the Ranch Hummus certainly made up for it! You could totally make ranch hummus!! And when you do I'll be looking out for that recipe ;)

Bianca: YES!!! Get to Aldi, it's so good! I don't know if they'll have the ranch hummus because it is a super limited item but they do have a lot of other great stuff for you to try!

J said...

I heard about the ravioli and I'm hoping to find it, too! The ranch hummus sounds super fun, and yay for bagel seasoning!

Sarah said...

Julie: I hope you find it!! If so I can't wait to see the review! The ranch hummus is amazing!

Susan said...

Such a good haul! Hopefully you can find the ice cream and ravioli next time you go.
I wish Aldi's across the globe had similar stuff, ours have a bit of vegan stuff but nowhere near the fun stuff the US ones have!
I am looking forward to hearing your report on the vanilla hummus.

Sarah said...

Susan: I'm so curious to know what you have at your Aldi! Hopefully I can find the ice cream, I was so excited to try that. Spoiler: the vanilla hummus is GOOOOOOOD!

Jennifer said...

From working at Aldi's in the past, I can say the individual store staff members have VERY little say what they get. Sometimes the cool products just simply don't make it to certain stores.

So it is entirely possible you just never got the raviolis. We have them but they are a little pricey for my taste. I feel like a box feeds two, plus a little one would mean getting two, and that starts reaching over $8 which is more than I would prefer to pay per meal.

I got the ice cream last year, and my mother in law got the vanilla this year. I would say it is for the best you didn't get it. It reminded me of the old school rice dream sort of stuff.

I have to look for that ranch hummus though!