Monday, August 5, 2019

Vegan MoFo 2019: Trying The Viet Vegan's Ttoekbokki!


Hey everyone! It's another day of MoFo and I'm super excited for today's post because it is part of my "Trying Other Bloggers' Recipes" theme for this year (as you know I'm following several themes). I've been eyeing The Viet Vegan's Ttoekbokki recipe FOR SO LONG. I've heard amazing things about Ttoekbokki and I love the texture of the Korean Rice Cakes but haven't ever made it in the traditional way. I found this recipe and loved how easy it looked and how short the ingredient list is (and I'm lucky enough to have access to Asian Markets so I was able to locate all of the ingredients easily). I don't know why it took me so long to try it but I finally decided that I was going to make it and try it out!


I decided to try the tube shaped rice cakes because I'd only ever had the sliced version. As I mentioned above, the ingredients list is short and that is important to me. I rarely ever make recipes with long ingredients lists so that was definitely part of the appeal of her version. It didn't take long to put together at all which is also great. I halved the recipe since it is just me eating it and I had leftovers to enjoy at a later time.


So how did it taste? In one word, AMAZING. I had a lighter hand with the spice (which you can tell because my sauce isn't quite as red as hers) and a little more generous with the sweetness and I really love the balance that I found. I liked the balance of the sweet and spice and thought it was a really nice flavor. The texture of the rice cakes is so amazing and I love it with the sauce. When I had the leftovers the sauce had actually thickened and it was even better! I am glad that I halved the recipe because it would have been a lot otherwise but I think it would be a great dish to make for company if they love spice.

The next time I make it I will certainly make sure I have kimchi on hand to pair with it and I think I may add some soft tofu to it. I think it would be a really nice addition and sure, it won't be authentic but it will certainly still be delicious!

I'm sure this won't be a surprise but I highly recommend trying her recipe if you haven't already and if you have access to the ingredients! I will certainly be making it again and I can't believe it took me this long to try! 

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope to see you back here tomorrow! 💚

6 comments:

The Student-turned-Doctor said...

This does look like an easy, tasty dish! I'm guilty of coming up with recipes with very long ingredient lists, I'll admit, but I get daunted by them, too. I love Korean food, and a trip to my local Korean market is long overdue. Maybe this will inspire me to get out there and grab some gochujang!

Susan said...

I have been wanting to try those rice cakes for ages, I can get them quite easily near me and I know I will love the texture of them. I need to get to it!

Sarah said...

The Student-turned-Doctor: I'm just lazy, ha! If I'm exhausted reading the ingredients I know I'm not going to make it ;) Yes!! Grab some gochujang! Just check the ingredients, some of them can be a little gross and most seemed to have MSG when I looked and I imagine you are probably sensitive to it (I know I am!). I hope you try it and love it!

Susan: The texture is amazing! It's my favorite part! I can't wait to see your review if you try them!

J said...

Oooh, this looks like such a great and comforting dish! I still need to try rice cakes; I'm sure I would love them!

Jennifer said...

I love this dish! I also like to toss in the some thinly sliced carrot (or shredded) for a little extra nutrition.

Sarah said...

Julie: It's so delicious!! Definitely try them, I know you'll love them too!

Jennifer: Oooh that sounds good! I've heard of people adding in cabbage too, that would be delicious!