Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Vegan MoFo 2019: Copycat Soups!


Hi friends! This post feels weird since we are in the middle of summer and it's hot and humid (at least where I am) so soup is the LAST thing on my mind. This is also a little bit of a cheater post because I've featured both of these soups on my blog before. I love them both so much I felt they deserved a dedicated MoFo post because I firmly believe that these are worthy of being winter staples for all vegan meal plans 😂 It also fits into my copycat theme because I made my own version of two of my favorite and most missed soups: chicken noodle soup and Chinese egg drop noodle soup.


Up first is my DELICOUS "chicken" noodle soup. I used soy curls as my "chicken" and Better than Bouillon no chicken base as my broth. The curls soak up that flavorful broth and they are a match made in heaven.


I'm not one to typically post recipes because I typically don't measure anything (as you'll see in the next section) but this is one recipe I actually wrote out on my blog. You can check out the recipe here if you are interested. I promise you it will be worth it. It is minimal effort for maximum flavor!


This soup was an absolute staple in my "Stuff I Ate" posts this past winter. When I was younger I absolutely loved Egg drop soup with udon noodles from the Chinese restaurant. I don't know what made me think of it but I decided I really wanted to recreate this dish. It came together really easily. The broth was made from Better than Bouillon no chicken base (which you'll already have after making the chicken noodle soup!) and some garlic powder. The "egg" portion of what would be egg drop soup was easily substituted with soft tofu that I crumbled into the broth (I usually use 1/3 of a block per brick of udon noodles which lasts 1-2 meals). It has the perfect texture for the soup and also soaks in the flavor of the broth. I use the frozen bricks of udon noodles that I purchase from H-Mart (budget tip, these are 5 bricks for $3!) that I just warm through directly in the broth. Of course you have to add some green onion at the end to finish it off!


I made a batch and put it in a quart container and I can't get over how authentic it looks! I consider this a budget dish (I know the Better than Bouillon is a little pricey but it goes a long way and lasts a long time!) but the tofu, noodles and green onion are all budget friendly!

I know it's hard to think about soup in August but I hope that you will give these soups a try as it cools off and you are in need of some comfort food! If you do give them a try let me know what you think of them! 💚



10 comments:

Holly said...

Where do you get your soy curls?

Sarah said...

Holly: I actually find mine at Sweet To Lick, the market I wrote about earlier this month! I don't recall seeing them at a grocery store but it's possible they may be in grocery stores? I know you can order them on Amazon too! You can also search here: https://www.butlerfoods.com/wheretobuy.html

Holly said...

I just looked and there are some stores on there that are about an hour away, so I may end up ordering some. My Vegan MoFo theme is all about trying new things! Thanks for the info!!

Hillary said...

I may be a weirdo, but I love soup in the summer!! Both of these look really amazing. I've been craving chickenless noodle soup, I may have to pick up some soy curls!!!
Also, your egg drop soup looks so authentic I can't even handle it!! I don't know if I've ever had egg drop soup, but I may have to try this with rice noodles!!!!

Susan said...

Soup in August sounds perfect to me. Of course, August is winter here. Right now I am sitting in my study, in fleecy trackpants and a hoodie, feeling cold* and wishing I could wrap my hands around a nice warm bowl of soup.

*Cold in Brisbane is relative compared to cold in other places, but it still feels cold to me!

Anonymous said...

I love soup any time of year and I love love love recipes.
Thank you so much
🍲

Sarah said...

Holly: It is probably easiest to order online! Yay for trying new things, I hope you like them!

Hillary: I love soup all the time but there are days where it's just too hot. The egg drop soup is ridiculous, I love it so much! I hope you try it, let me know how you like it!

Susan: Yes!! Definitely give these a try if it get too chilly for you. I can't wait for it to get cooler, I can't stand the heat.

Anonymous: Yay! I hope you try them, let me know how you like them if you do!

J said...

I loved your chicken noodle soup when I tried it, so I'll have to make the egg drop one next!

The Student-turned-Doctor said...

Is it bad that I've never really thought about the cost of Better than Boullion? I get a jar for about $5 and it lasts me a long time, but you're right that it's not quite so cheap as some other things--and yet also not so expensive, and it's SO GOOD.

I never had noodles in egg drop soup but your soup looks great! I really enjoyed making my own variation on your mock chicken noodle soup!

And I'm totally on board with soup in the summer. Anything that doesn't require the oven is a good thing!

Sarah said...

Julie: Aww thanks, I'm so glad you loved it! I hope you love the egg drop one too!

The Student-Turned-Doctor: It's not an awful price for Better than Bouillon but I think it is a big pricey if you are on a strict budget. I actually do think it is a great deal considering how far it goes and how long it lasts. And you are right, it is SO GOOD and it truly makes dishes so much better and flavorful. I'm glad you enjoyed the chicken noodle soup, I love the noodles in this soup! I agree, no ovens are a good thing!