Thursday, August 29, 2019

Vegan MoFo 2019: Taste Testing New To Me Products!


Hi my friends! I hope you are all doing well! For today's post I thought it would be fun to taste test and review some of the new to me products that I've found recently. Some may be new to the market and I believe some have been out for a while but I've never tried any of it. I thought a roundup would be a fun MoFo post! I can't believe it's almost over! I'm not going to lie, I'm kind of relieved. The last week has been stressful with house/pet sitting and posting 5 days per week is exhausting!

Anyway, let's check out some cool products!


I heard that Skinny Pop popcorn had a Vegan White Cheddar option out there and I knew I had to try it! I found an individual bag of it and picked it up to see how it was. Before I get into the review, I will say that I did see a Cheddar option that was not vegan so make sure you check before purchasing! I think the non-vegan bag was orange.

I love popcorn and I particularly love Skinny Pop. I don't know why but it is my popcorn of choice (I'm not affiliated with them in any way, I just love their popcorn) and I always get the regular one. Once I heard that this White Cheddar flavor was vegan I knew I had to get on it quickly. You guys. This shit is SO GOOD. At first the cheddar flavor is quite subtle but it actually builds a bit and it's really delicious. I will DEFINITELY be repurchasing this!


Up next I have the American Flatbread Vegan Harvest Pizza. This was on sale down from $9.99 to $5.99. The pizza is small and very thin. I ate half and wasn't super satisfied to be honest. It may have been because I hadn't eaten much that day or because I was just hungry but it wasn't satisfying. Anyway, the flavor was fine, it wasn't a bad pizza but it wasn't even worth the sale price of $5.99, never mind the original price of $10. I enjoyed the flavor of it but I wouldn't re-purchase. I like my flatbread pizzas that I make and my money goes a lot further that way.


Up next we have the new Morningstar Popcorn Chick'n!! OMG you guys, this stuff is so good! I tried them on their own for this dinner and loved them. They get nice and crispy, taste great and are super fun! These would be amazing in a salad or in a wrap or even on a pizza! I love them and will definitely repurchase!



Up next I tried the Gardein Sausage and Homestyle Gravy Breakfast bowl. It was a little weird because everything kind of tasted like the real versions. The egg like product freaked me out the most because it looked so real. The Gardein sausage is great and I love that they use chunks of potato with the skin on. I actually liked this bowl but I do wish it came with more gravy and that it was on the side in one of the sauce packets you get with stir fries (I totally agree with you The Student-turned-Doctor!). I just think it would work that way and I really wanted more of that gravy. Otherwise I really did enjoy it. I would totally have it again for a quick meal.


Finally, I tried the Kite Hill tortellini and the Follow Your Heart shredded parmesan cheese. The tortellini was pretty good! I am not a pasta person so it's hard for me to really get behind pasta but this was definitely good. The flavor was great and it had a nice texture. The only thing that was weird to me was that the filling kind of stuck to my mouth, almost like peanut butter does. It was definitely good but I doubt I'd purchase it again for the hefty $10 price tag. If you love pasta and are missing tortellini I bet you'll love this!

I tried some of the parmesan on the pasta and then I also made parmesan garlic bread on the side. I freaking loved the garlic bread. I had been craving it for so long and I finally satisfied that craving and it was delicious. The parmesan is by far the best vegan parm I've ever tried. I really loved it.

So there are some new (to me) products that I've recently tried! Have you tried any of these products? What do you think of them? 💚





6 comments:

J said...

I've gotten the American Flatbread Vegan Harvest Pizza when it was on sale, too, but yeah, it's not that filling. I haven't seen the Morningstar Popcorn Chick'n yet, but I am going to continue keeping my eyes peeled for it; it sounds so fun! Yay for garlic bread!

Bianca said...

I LOVE that vegan cheddar Skinny Pop! And I must find that popcorn chicken. The bowl sounds great too. It's funny how microwave meals never look appetizing but still taste great. They always bring me back to childhood, heating up meals for lunch during the summers when my parents were working.

Susan said...

I have tried none of those products, over here in Australia. Though we do get Gardein, so maybe that breakfast bowl will become available eventually. Our Gardein range isn't as big as the US though.
I so often find that premade pizzas from the store are expensive and end up disappointing. Making them at home is always better, or getting them from a pizza shop. Perhaps that pizza shop you posted about last week, which I am still dreaming about going to one day. ;)

The Student-turned-Doctor said...

Maybe Gardein will notice what we're saying and change their ways!

Thanks for the tip on the popcorn. Earth Balance has an awesome vegan white cheddar popcorn but it's so pricey for what it is.

Sarah said...

Julie: It was definitely disappointing. Just not worth the hefty price tag. Definitely try the popcorn chick'n, it's amazing and omg the garlic bread was SOOOOOOOO good!

Bianca: YESSSSS the skinny pop is everything!! The bowl was good, I would definitely purchase again for a quick meal. It would be good with a fresh fruit salad too.

Susan: I hope that you get more Gardein, it's so good and the variety is pretty incredible. They have everything! OMG the pizza from That Pizza Place is so worth the hefty price, it was delicious and so so filling! If you are ever in NY let me know, I'll take you there!!!

The Student-turned-Doctor: Yes!!! Listen to us Gardein! Haha but I did like the bowl, I think it was pretty authentic which was a little crazy. Although I could probably recreate it pretty well and more to my taste. Definitely try the Skinny Pop if you can find it! They go on sale a lot by me so I could typically get two bags for the price of one EB. It's very delicious.

Jennifer said...

It has been years since i've had tortellini, I kind-of wish I had $10 to drop just to have it for once lol